First Birthday

One year ago today, I gave birth to my first daughter. Ashley and I named her Noelle since she was born on Christmas morning. This year has been the best of my life. Watching her grow and learn makes life worth living. She saved me. I was in a dark place when I found out I was pregnant. Ashley and I weren't really ready to become parents but the universe had other plans for us. 

Ashley and I are both awake long before the sun rises every morning. If the only time we have together without Noelle is 4 AM, then 4 AM is the best time in the world. 

"Can you believe she's one?" Ashley whispers to me, holding his mug of coffee.

"It doesn't feel like it's been a year. I remember meeting her like it was yesterday," I chuckle.

We're having a big party with our families and friends for her birthday tomorrow, so today is just for us. I look over at the Christmas tree, seeing all the gifts under the tree, enough to be sufficient for Christmas and her birthday. Needless to say, we can only see the top half of the tree. 

Around 7 AM, like always, Noelle wakes up and Ashley goes and gets her. 

"Happy birthday, love. You're one!" I hear Ashley cheer with her. Of course, she's less than enthusiastic about waking up since she's hungry. I start making her bottle. I hand it to Ashley when they come out of Noelle's bedroom and we all sit at the table. I take a picture of the two of them. It doesn't go on social media. Some memories are meant to be kept just for us. I turn on some Christmas music to help set a cheery mood for today. Once Noelle has finished her bottle, I take her into the living room.

"These are all for you!" I show her. She seems to be more interested in the pretty lights on the Christmas tree, but I think that'll change once she sees what's in the mysterious wrapped boxes. Noelle sits in my lap, and Ashley hands her one of the small boxes. It's evident she has no idea what to do with it, so I help her rip the paper. Bit by bit, the toy is uncovered. It's a baby doll. Noelle squeals, making Ashley and I smile. As the boxes slowly become uncovered, Noelle seems to get the hang of what this is all about. From blocks and dolls to toy drums and singing stuffed animals, the excitement just multiplies. She takes a particular liking to the stuffed bear that sings the ABC's. Screw everything else, this is all she cares about at this moment. Ashley and I get to listen to this on repeat for the next month or so until the batteries die and we "forget" to replace them. 

"You want cake?" Ashley asks Noelle excitedly. Noelle just looks at him for a second then back to the bear. Ashley goes into the kitchen and grabs a blue cupcake with rainbow sprinkles on it. We figured a cupcake would be better for today instead of a giant cake with only three people living here. "(Y/N), bring her back over here. I don't feel like scrubbing blue frosting off the carpet today."

"Yea, that makes two of us," I say, bringing her into the kitchen. I set her in her high chair and open the camera on my phone. This is definitely a moment I don't want to forget. Ashley unwraps the cupcake and puts it in front of her. 

"Get it, Noelle," Ashley says, pointing to the cupcake. Noelle looks at both of us, slightly confused, then puts her whole hand on top of it. Within seconds, she is wearing frosting all over her face. 

"Happy birthday, babygirl," I smile, kissing the top of her head. "We love you so much."

A/N

For @starlyn2003 as requested! Hope you enjoy!

I'm having a lot more fun writing these shorter imagines. It's more about content than word count. Besides, the last one I wrote was shorter and had a tremendously positive response, so I take it you guys are cool with the shorter ones too! 

Love you guys so much! Thank you for all the support!