★Chapter Sixteen ★

"So, what's on the agenda for Operation Scorpion?" Henry asked as he, Alex, and David strolled down the sidewalks in Storybrooke.

"What's Operation Scorpion?" David asked.

"The code name for our mission to find Emma and Snow? Do you prefer viper? That was my second choice."

"Henry, Laney, we need to talk."

"Yeah, scorpion's better." Henry said, sighing.

"No, it's not that. It's..."

"We're not coming with you." Alex realized.

"But I... I thought we were going to find Jefferson?" Henry asked, and Alex nodded in agreement.

"I already did." He replied, causing Alex to turn to him in shock.

"What? Is he going to help us?" Henry asked.

"No. No, Henry, he's not."

"But why didn't you tell us you talked to him?" Alex asked, crossing her arms.

"Because I didn't want to disappoint you guys. I know you want to find your mom, Henry, but Jefferson can't help us. I need to find a way to restore the hat."

"So, why can't we help you look?"

"It'll require magic, Henry. And magic-"

"Always comes with a price." The two chorused.

"I've read the book, you know."

"And I've lived it."

"I'm sorry, but I just can't let you anywhere near this stuff. If you really want to help me, you'll go to school where I know you'll be safe, okay?"

"David! You can't be serious." Alex said, rolling her eyes.

"I'm very serious, Elaina. I can't let you get into trouble. You and I both know your magic is still on the rocks. I'm not taking that risk." He said, causing her to roll her eyes.

"Fine." She said, as her and Henry started towards the school bus. Once David left, Henry turned to Alex.

"We're going find Jefferson, aren't we." He said, causing her to nod.

"You're catching on, Henry."

★★★

"Jefferson... I need your help." Alex's voice rang out.

"Look, I already told his grandfather. I can't do anything." He said, turning away from the girl.

"I know. But, there must be something we can do." Henry said, shaking his head.

"I'm the wrong person to talk to, kid. Magic's not my thing. Isn't that yours, Elaina?"

"It's different here... I'm not sure why..." She said, shaking her head.

"Try your mother then. Maybe she's got something in that vault of hers she can help you with."

"Vault? Her vault is here? In Storybrooke?" Henry asked with wide eyes.

"It's none of my business. Talk to her."

"What's that?" Henry asked. Jefferson folded up the paper and tucked it in his coat pocket.

"Your daughter's looking for you, isn't she?" Alex realized.

"What do you know about it?"

"I read your story. I know how the two of you were separated." Henry said.