Modern day Romeo and Juliet.

Romeo and Juilet. The biggest star-crossed lovers of all time. And the biggest enemies. The Capulets and the Montagues. All these fancy, old timey words and romantic scenes. Well, I've got a story,too. But let's start from the beggening.

My name's Juliet. Juliet Capulet.

I'm 16 years old.

My family has a rivial. Well, rivals. The Montauges. As long as I can remember, my family and the Montauges have always hated each other. I mean, faceoffs in the middle of town. We are a strong Catholic family, and normally Catholics are peaceful, right? Not in these two families. I have nothing against the Montauges. I don't like them, but I don't want to harm them. So, I just never interacted with them.

I rushed down the stairs in a hurry. I was already late for school. Then, I grabed a bagel and flung the door open. My car was very nice. Mother had gotten it for me last year for my 16th birthday. Oh, what a night that had been...

The engine roared and I pulled the clutch back into drive. Looking back, I cautiously pulled out of the driveway. Where had mother and father been this morning? Mother always makes me bagels and tea... Oh, shoot. My bagel hadn't been cooked. No tea, either....

"So, let my life be the proof... The proof of your love..." I sang along to my favorite song and pointed to the sky whenever the song said 'your'.

I pulled into the parking lot of Saint Marie's Catholic school. I spotted an open parking spot and hastily pulled in. With my books in hand, I made my way to the front entrance of the school.

School went normally. When the final bell rang, off to my car I went along with my best friend, Jenna. We talked about the party my mom was throwing tonight. And all the cute boys that were going to be there. Score! My mom knew all the hottie mc' hottie's moms in town. As we got dressed and headed down stairs, none of the boys caught my eye. Not. A. Single. One.

Until I saw him.

It was like I couldn't breath but I didn't care. It didn't hurt. My brain struggled to tell my other body parts to do their jobs. Funny thing was... He wasn't hot... He was... The rainbow in the middle of a thunder storm. A flourishing flower in a drought. He was... Perfect. In every way. The way his blue eyes stared into my brown ones. The way his arms seemed like they were meant to hold me. He started walking toward me, yet he never took his eyes off of me. He looked at me like the way I felt about him. My legs carried me to the elevator in our house. Just as I was about to run into the door, it opened and made me look AWSOME as I slowly backed into it. He followed me inside, the door closing behind him. He leaned in. A foot away. Closer. Five inches. Then, our lips were touching. Gently at first, then harder.

"I'm Romeo." He said between a kiss.

"Juliet."

He ran his hands through my hair then set them around my neck. I wrapped an arm around his waist and pulled him closer. He backed me up onto the wall of the elevator and kept kissing me. Then, the elevator opened and Jenna dragged me out. What was she doing?!

"He's a Montague." That cleared it up.

How did she know that Romeo was a Montague? Couldn't she let me just be? That's when what just happened really sunk in. What was I thinking?! Oh, hey. I just met you, and I am crazy. I'm in a elevator, so kiss me maybe? Idiot!

That night I went outside to my pool. That was the only place I could think of that I could keep my head straight.

"Oh, why do the best things come with a package that can't be opened..." I stared longingly into the crystal blue pool.

"I mean, why does it matter that Romeo is a Montugue and I, a Capulet? Those are just names. It's not his face, arm, or leg... It's just a packaging, right? For if my name would be Juliet Montague, we would be together. Maybe. And it's not like--"

"Juliet?" A familiar soft voice said.

"Romeo!" I gasped and turned around the find Romeo climbing down my house wall.

He stepped foot on the ground and ran to embrace me tightly.

"Oh, Romeo!" I did all I could not to cry. I knew I just met him but... Wow. He was amazing... And beautiful... And everything I could ever want. He smelled like home. And flowers. And his eyes... The icy blue colors had a reassuring glow that made you feel like nothing wrong could ever possibly happen.

"Juliet..." He whispered softly into my hair and I could feel his warm breath against my cold skin.

"How'd you--" I started to say something when I was cut off by two male voices in the distance. It scared Romeo so much, when he flung his arms and I fell right into the pool with a loud KERSPLASH!

My impact with the water stung and I slowly let myself sink to the bottom. I let all my air out and watched the bubbles float to the top. Uh oh... I forgot this pool was fifteen feet deep. My lungs were screaming for air now. I was about eight feet down when I started kicking. My clothes were heavy with water. I tried to fight my way up but with my clothes feeling heavier by the minute and my lungs filling with water, there wasn't much I could do. Where was Romeo?! Had the guards gotten him? Could nobody see me? My lungs and throat literally felt on fire now. My head was swarming. Blackness started to cover my eyes. I could hardly remember anything except the coldness of the water and the way his eyes looked in the moonlight. Or was it in the water? His face got bigger and bigger. It almost looked as if... I felt his hand grab my arm and start pulling me upward. The blackness had covered all my vision. The only thing I could feel was his iron grip on my arm and the coldness of the water. It was suddenly warm. I heard his name calling me and felt myself being violently shaken. I saw his beautiful face once more before everything went black.

********

I woke up cold and frightened.

On my right side was my mom, father, and Jenna. On my left was half of my school. Standing alone in front of me was Romeo.

I let my eyes float down and I saw an oxygen mask on my face, and I.V. Stuck in my arm, and 5 layers of blankets on top of me.

I could hear myself breathing but I felt like I was dead. The stiffness and coldness... I was so dead.

There was a cry of relief from someone I couldn't see.

" This man saved your life, Juliet." She put her hand on Romeo's shoulder. Did she not know he was a Montague?! I guess not, but I could live with that... "He heard you fall into the pool and then climbed over the fence to see what was going on... Then, he jumped in and saved you. He did CPR until the paramedics arrived."

What? He.... Actually saved my life. I don't know what my face looked like but it probably looked completely in awe.

"Th-Thanks." I managed to talk my first words even though my lungs were killing me.

He smiled sweetly and nodded his head, winked, and walked out of the room.