Epilogue - New Life

Chapter 33

Sephiroth had just finished her daily walk and was stretching her back at the top of the rise looking into the city. Most days it still surprised her how far they had all come. After the first year that the Cindarians had settled here, they started trickling out into the world. Most of them still stayed isolated, but there were more than a handful that had integrated into city life. It was common enough to go to Edge and see a few of them. There was a small community on the other side of the Midgar ruins as well. That was were the focus to reenergize the wastelands was centered.

There were also many scientists and scholars that had made their lives in New Cindar. That was the unofficial name for the Ancient City. Most people called it that anyway and she was certain that it wouldn't be long until the name made its way into the official books.

She had finally finished stretching and was about to head down the path and to her house when she caught sight of a woman headed up the path to her. She had already felt that Aerith was in the city, so she wasn't surprised. It helped that she had called for her help as well.

Aerith was huffing slightly when she made it to the top of the ridge, but she managed to give Sephiroth a hug. When they parted, she gave the taller woman a mock glare. "I don't know how you make that walk every day."

Sephiroth only laughed and turned towards her house. "I have to do something to stay active. The thought that I will not be able to for much longer bothers me more than I have words for."

She glanced back at Aerith's form before her smile softened and she continued. "Besides, I'm not nearly as far along as you are."

Aerith laughed and wound her arm through the other woman's as they slowly made their way back. "No, but this isn't my first one either. I can imagine that you have all sorts of questions."

Sephiroth made a very unladylike snort and shook her head. "That is putting it lightly. By the way, where is Terran?"

Aerith shook her head with a grimace. "He's with Zack. They wanted to look around for a little while. Are you sure it's okay that we all stay with you?"

Sephiroth nodded. "Of course. Just be prepared for Genesis. I am almost certain that he is more disturbed by this than I am."

Aerith stopped them and gave Sephiroth a smirk. "You know, the rest of the team is taking bets on whether or not Genesis passes out during the birth."

Sephiroth couldn't hold in her laugh at the thought. "Can I get in on that? I will bet some of my seeds that he's out within the first few minutes."

Aerith's eyes widened before she laughed. "I would love to have some of those, but I'm afraid I can't bet against you. I think he will be too."

Their laughter was interrupted by a sharp voice. "I don't know why you think I would faint at the thought of blood. I'll take that bet."

Sephiroth was still smirking when she turned to her husband. "We'll see. It isn't just blood. It will be my blood and you know you hate seeing that."

Both women had to fight not to laugh when Genesis' face lost a bit of color. You couldn't tell it in his voice though. "You talk as if I haven't seen it before." He walked past them and opened the door for them to enter before he continued. "Please tell me the next six months will not be like this?"

Sephiroth's gaze softened slightly as she leaned over and kissed his cheek. "It might be, but you'll survive. Tell you what, the next time you can carry the child and I'll put up with being picked on."

He huffed but still helped the two women get the guest room ready. When Zack and Terran finally made it, his grumbling increased, but Sephiroth reminded him he needed the practice in handling a child anyway. It didn't stop him from grumbling, but there was a difference in how he treated their three-year-old guest.