Look to the Future

Chapter 30

The next morning Sephiroth was up before most of the others. She had left the other three Firsts sleeping when she made her way back up on deck. She had not managed to sleep much since she found she was worried about the outcome of her request. She believed that the gathered people would all do what they felt was right, but she had not counted on the fact that they might also be too afraid to extend the chance. She tried to let go of that worry as she looked out over the shining landscape. It was hard to believe that it had barely been more than a couple of days since the entire area had been covered with gore. There were still some spots where the blackened soot showed through the new snow, but for the most part, the planet had covered over the grisly scene with a coat of pure white. She wondered if it could be that easy for everything in her life and chuckled bitterly at the thought.

She was pulled from her contemplation when she felt someone place something on her shoulders. She turned with a start to see that Genesis had come up beside her and draped part of the blanket he had been wrapped in around her as well. She wasn't sure what to think of his action and gave him a curious look.

He shrugged and gave her a sleepy smirk before he answered. "We may be inside, but this glass does little to insulate against the cold. You looked like you could use it, along with the company. If that sound you just made is any indication, then you are once again being far too hard on yourself."

She gave him an incredulous look before she finally burst into laughter. She shook her head at him before she turned back to watch the landscape while she pulled the blanket to cover herself completely. Neither of them mentioned the fact that they were leaning against each other as she spoke. "I was just contemplating how the world was able to renew itself here so easily. You can barely tell that a battle was just fought. In a few more days all traces of it will be gone completely."

Genesis hummed and looked out as well. They stood together in silence for several moments before he spoke in a reverent tone. "Infinite in mystery is the gift of the Goddess." He then glanced at Sephiroth from the corner of his eye. "I cannot say what the future has in store for us, but I know for once, I have a clearer picture of what I would like that future to become."

Sephiroth could vaguely feel what he was talking about and found that she was not nearly as uncomfortable at the thought as she would have been only a few days prior. She gave him a half-smile before she bumped his shoulder with her own. "We still need to get through the present. We can figure out the rest when we have time to think about it."

Genesis gave her a look that was half scolding and half-amused, but he didn't get a chance to say anything. Their attention was drawn by a strangled sound from behind them. They both looked over their shoulders to see Cloud had just come up the steps. He was frozen at the top, but it looked like he had been about to bolt before they caught sight of him. Much to her surprise, Sephiroth felt a slight blush heating her cheeks, but she didn't bother moving as the blond started trying to speak. "Wha- uh... sorry to interrupt."

Sephiroth was surprised when Genesis only laughed at the fumbled apology before he turned and allowed the blanket to fall completely onto her. "There is no need for that. We were discussing what is to come. I am sure the others will be here soon as well." He paused and turned his charming smile back to her. She gave him a glare, but it didn't stop him from speaking. "I will go get Angeal and meet you back here."

He didn't wait for her to respond, but she didn't let that stop her. She called out to his retreating back. "Don't forget to wake Zack too. Oh, and make sure you make your bed." At that, she flung the blanket that had been on her shoulders at the back of his head. He gave her a surprised look as he caught it, but his smirk was quickly back in place as he gave her a mock salute and disappeared down the stairs.