Plans and Protection

Chapter 24

Sephiroth was awoken by a hand shaking her shoulder. She was up instantly but it took her mind a few moments to catch up with her actions. When they did, she gave Genesis a look of chagrin, as she was still holding him at bay with the tip of the Masamune. She let the sword disappear before she spoke. "I apologize. I must have been sleeping harder than usual."

He rolled his eyes at her apology. "I should have remembered that you react on instinct when you sleep too deeply. It is my own fault."

She shook her head with a half-smile. "Still, I should remember that I am among friends."

He didn't reply. Instead, he stepped back and opened the door before he finally spoke. "While that may indeed be the case, I do not fault you for your instincts. I would rather you keep them sharp and stay alive. For now, we need to return. Are you rested?"

She gave him a nod as she followed him out. "Well enough."

He didn't hide his scowl, but he didn't say anything as they walked back. When they arrived, Aerith and Zack were still not there, but Angeal was and he had Weiss, Reno, Yuffie, and Vincent with him. Sephiroth ignored the Trouble Trio, as she had dubbed them, before giving Vincent a nod. They had not had much opportunity to speak since she had returned, but they took advantage of the few chances they had. Although neither of them said it, they had mutually decided they did not want to lose the opportunity for a family again.

She started toward her father when Aerith and Zack came in. Aerith gave her a quick smile and a nod before she walked over to Angeal and Genesis. Sephiroth smiled at the fact that Aerith was trying to give them a moment, even though they didn't really have the time. She did have something she wanted to ask Vincent though, so she took advantage of the opportunity. When she reached him, she kept her voice low enough that only Vincent would hear. "Do you know who gave the order for Weiss to tag along with Reno and Yuffie?"

Vincent frowned slightly before he answered. "Yes, Cloud did. I asked him about the decision as well, but he only told me it was a request. I have kept an eye on them though, and so far, they have been obnoxious, but not troublesome."

Sephiroth looked back with a scowl and found that Aerith was already on her way over. Vincent gave her shoulder a squeeze as he walked back toward the rest. When Aerith drew even with Sephiroth, she looked back to see what the General was glaring at. When she saw it was Weiss, she grabbed her hand and whispered. "I'll explain."

Sephiroth raised a brow at the girl when she realized the request must have been hers. She didn't ask, though, and allowed Aerith to lead them back to the same cushions they had used earlier. When they sat down, most of the people in the room grew quiet. The only voices were from the trio in question, but even they were keeping their voices down.

Once they were seated, Sephiroth didn't hesitate to clasp Aerith's hands and close her eyes. They had found during their initial attempt that once they were focused properly, they could communicate mind to mind. They had to in order to finish the connections. It wasn't exactly words that were shared, but the communications were clear nonetheless. Even knowing that, it surprised Sephiroth when Aerith's explanation was waiting for her when they linked. 'Weiss needs a connection, a reason to want to continue. He holds too much hatred for everything, including himself. Without it, he could disappear and take many with him.'

Sephiroth paused at her thoughts. She had known that he still harbored hatred for Shinra and what had been done to him, but she hadn't considered that he might hate his own existence as well. She didn't need to deliberate for long before she passed on her understanding. 'Agreed. I hadn't seen it, but you are correct.' That was the end of their aside before they both reached deeper and completed their connection again.