Shattered Compromises

Chapter 25

It was evening the next day before the last of the supplies were loaded onto the Shera. Sephiroth knew they would be leaving soon but took a few moments and made her way to the lake at the center of the city. She had faced countless battles before, but never had it been one for the life of all humanity, nor had it been because she chose to and not because she was ordered. She found that she was questioning herself and her motives more than she ever had before. She knew there was no way they could hand Cloud over, so the coming battle was most likely unavoidable, but that didn't mean that she was not still torn. The ones they would be killing were not truly evil, only at odds with the survival of humanity. It was the fact that their continued stay on Gaia could be better for the planet overall that had her questioning everything.

These thoughts had her in turmoil, even if most would not have noticed. Genesis had though and had followed her, but he gave her space to think. He was sure she already knew he was close by but didn't bother her. After nearly half an hour she finally looked over and smiled. "You aren't bothering me. If you want to join me, you can. I just have a lot to think about."

Genesis smiled back and went to sit beside her at the water's edge. "Infinite in mystery is the gift of the Goddess. You were given a rare gift and the fate of the planet rides on your shoulders. I understand how you may question yourself, but you should follow your heart. The fact that you are worried about everyone and everything but yourself should tell you that your heart is on the right track. Do not doubt yourself."

She shook her head at him. "Only you would know that I still carry doubt." She looked back out over the water before she continued. "I know what needs to be done to save humanity, but is that really what's best for the planet?"

Her face was drawn when she looked back. He gave her shoulder a squeeze before he responded. "You don't need me to answer that for you. Your decision is already made. Know that we all follow your lead." Genesis would have been bitter at that thought in the past, even the recent past, but he had come to realize that the trust he had for her far outweighed any doubt he might once have held. He wasn't sure when it had happened, but he no longer viewed her as a rival. He also didn't need to hear her tell him they were equals. He knew she thought so without asking. The only thing he questioned was why it had taken him so long to see that her actions had always told him that. She never gave anyone else her all in spars and no one except maybe Angeal knew her as well.

She didn't speak right away, and they both decided to soak up the peaceful silence while they could. Sephiroth let the feel of the surrounding area calm her worries, along with the confidence of knowing her friends would be with her. As foreign as that thought might once have been, thinking of moving forward without them was no longer an option. Finally, she stood and held out her hand to help Genesis to his feet. He laughed lightly at the sight but accepted it. Neither of them said anything else as they headed to the last airship to load up with the rest.

Once everyone was on board, they left the ruined city behind them. It was an odd feeling as the place had come to feel like the closest thing to a home that several of them had ever had. Despite being worried about the outcome of their coming trials, Sephiroth found herself wondering if she could actually make her home there once peace was achieved. The fact that she was thinking beyond their battle made her shake her head at herself every time she caught her mind wandering. It seemed that Vincent had been correct. Hope did seem to infect her thinking once she let it in.

Once they were airborne, Cid took his time. They still had to wait for the other ships to get into place so once they reached a certain point, they fell into a waiting pattern. The six people that were going to be the first point of contact and defense spent all their waking hours together, trying to hash out as many possible outcomes they could think of. Even Weiss was more subdued then he had been previously. It surprised everyone except Sephiroth when he became belligerent again because someone had suggested having the members of Avalanche and the Turks on the ground and ready to fight at the same time as the six of them.