Chapter Sixteen: The Elephant in the Room

What do you first say to a person that you haven't seen for years, because said person believes you to be a wannabe murderer - oh, and a traitor, too?

Admittedly, this is a complicated question, and I don't think anyone has the answer.

I look up, before hastily glancing down again as I find Kyle already looking at me with a troubled expression, his hands unconsciously caressing his round belly in a nervous way that makes my heart clench. Of course, he wouldn't feel comfortable around me. Not anymore.

Still, he looks so much better than the last time I saw him. He looks healthier. Happier. He has long hair now, tied up in a thick braid and it makes him look even hotter - not that I fancy him or anything, he was always a good friend to me, nothing more. I am pretty sure Darren and Nate are responsible for this new hairstyle, because the Kyle I know would never accept such a change.

So, this is the new Kyle: long hair, round belly, big ass and clean skin. Of course, you can tell, by the way he moves, that he is still a badass warrior but at least there are no longer blue half-moons under his eyes.

I knew things would get better between him and his mates, from the very beginning when they learned he was their mates and were devastated by the news. He didn't believe me at the time, of course. He was adamant that they would never forgive him for assaulting Nate and he was doing his best to hide his submissive nature from them. I remember telling him countless times that before long Darren and Nate would realize how precious their third mate was.

I was right. Finally, these two idiots came to their senses and my favourite werewolf has stopped running away from his problems.

He suddenly clears his throat and I almost jump at the sound, trying my best to look at everything but him, which is more difficult than it sounds because there isn't much to look at in the first place in the small chalet where he asked me to meet him.

I didn't even know he owned such a place. Or maybe it isn't his. Maybe it's just a random place he found and that he now uses to hide dead bodies.

Ah! Just kidding.

I give him a small smile, one that probably looks more like a grimace but let's all appreciate the effort. In turn, he tries to smile back but it's also very far from what an authentic smile looks like.

This is akward.

He probably wishes he was elsewhere, with his mates, for instance. The persons that he can trust and love instead of a grim figure from a past he is trying to forget about.

This is painful. I used to be so carefree around him. I was his confident, and we both shared a bit of our respective traumas. Now, I can't even bring myself to look at him in the eyes.

I have to say something. Anything to dissolve the tension between us. Think, Alex. Think about something appropriate to say.

"So, Kyle, how are you going to give birth? I mean, will the baby come out of your ass?" I eventually ask, before widening my eyes in horror.

I can't believe I just asked him that.

My former best friend is now looking at me with a bewildered expression, his cheeks turning a nice red color that I would probably have tease him for, had we meet in a different context.

"Fuck you" he eventually mumbles, although he thankfully looks far from offended. "It's already embarassing enough to have Darren and Nate explaining to me that my asshole will stretch out naturally, I don't need you to add fuel to the fire"

"Oh my God, for real, Kyle? I mean, I was only jocking here! Damn, your - then it will turns the size of a basketball! Although, with two Dominants mates, I'm pretty sure it is already quite bi-"