Chapter Eight: Sleepy boy

Picture: Malik's bed

This morning, I clearly felt him.

My wolf.

Since that time when Malik rescued me from the water, I have had tingles from time to time and I wondered if they weren't signs of my wolf coming back, only to dismiss it later as the pure product of my imagination.

I thought such thing was impossible and I had already accepted years ago the fact that my wolf would never come back. He became scarce on that dreadful night when I was banned from the pack, after I betrayed my former best friend.

Betraying one of your pack member is so unatural that it is not surprising that I could no longer feel my wolf. I knew our bond wasn't broken and that he was still present in the back of my mind, but I no longer felt him. Had our bond been truly broken, I would have died in a few days, but for some reason, Darren, who used to be my Alpha, didn't completely severed the link between me and my former pack mates. I don't know if Kyle asked him not to, or if he just forgot to do so, because the only thing on his mind at that time was to have me gone.

What is weird, is that for years I had hoped, begged my wolf to come back and talk to me but now that he might be back for good, I feel mostly scared.

This is not the good time nor the good place for my wolf to resurface.

Having my wolf back would mean unwanted memories assaulting me at night.

Having my wolf back would mean greater difficulties to overcome my instincts.

Having my wolf back would mean that everything would feel more intense, and I like the dull state of mind in which I currently am. It's safer.

But mostly, having my wolf back could mean, although the possibility is very thin, that I might be able to get in touch again with my former pack mates through our mental link.

I could talk to Kyle again.

This is a terrible idea and I would prefer not to have to resist the temptation, as he probably wishes I was never born, and I don't deserve to talk to him anyways, much less to beg for his forgiveness.

Plus, Darren and Nate would move Heaven and Earth to find me if they learned that I have tried to contact their precious mate.

And when they find me, they would kill me without a second thought.

"Really, Kyle? Daydreaming again?"

I quickly look up to find Serena watching me with a scolding expression on her pretty face.

It doesn't matter if she tries to appear mad, though. I know she's not. In fact, I'm pretty happy to see her again. I kinda missed her.

"Don't look at me with such puppy eyes" she tries -and fails - to maintain her stern composture. "I wish you would tell me what is going on in that obviously overcrowded head of yours"

"Nothing, I swear" I tell her, giving her my sweetest expression.

"You're not as good as you think at hiding the truth, Kyle dear" she says, making me laugh.

"You always talk like an old woman when you're actually younger than me!" I exclaim and this time, she laughs with me.

" What can I say, Kyle? I'm an old soul"

"Yeah, without a doubt"

She smiles and we both enjoy in silence the relaxed atmosphere.

That is, until she speaks again.