Chapter Three

"H-Hello." You stuttered slightly.

"Why are you home?" Meredith snapped, cutting off their greeting.

"Rhonda said-"

"Rhonda is not your boss. I am. Get that through your worthless little brain." Tears of frustration stung your eyes. "You are quite defiant young lady, if I should even call you that. You're more along the lines of 'little slut'." She snickered.

"You had me working from nine this morning until two tonight." You remained calm yet took the defensive.

"And? It's eleven, you still should be working." You stood silently as all eyes rested on you; you hated the attention but there was no way to divert it. "No answer?" She scoffed and a single tear escaped. 

"Mom, look, you got her to cry again!" Star practically cheered. 

"Sam, go clean yourself up, you look terrible when you cry. You are a disgrace right now, just go." She waved her hand dismissing you as you quickly paced out. 

You had never been so embarrassed in your life. 

"Meredith, I thought you only had two daughters?" Simon questioned.

"I do, that's Sam."

"And she is?" Harry questioned, almost in concern.

"My maid's daughter."

"Where's her mother?" Louis piped up.

"Buried about six feet under cold, hard concrete."

"S-She's dead?" Liam questioned in sympathy as Niall sat motionless.

"Yeah, I was 'lucky' enough to be Sam's guardian." She scoffed. 

You walked through the small door to your bedroom and dropped your stuff by the door. "What the?" You scrunched your nose in confusion; there were about seven large suitcases piled and overflowing on your bed. You quickly walked around the bed and slipped into a tank top and a pair of pajama shorts, you threw on a small pair of slippers and walked back to the main house.

"Excuse me? Meredith? Can I talk to you for a second?" You practically whispered as once again all eyes were on you.

"Just say it now, I don't have time for this."

"Well, it's just that there's a bunch of luggage-"

"Oh yeah, that's these boys' stuff. They'll be staying there."

"Where am I going to sleep?"

"I set up a quilt and pillow on the hammock, by the pool." She said matter-of-factly.

"You're kidding right?" You almost chuckled slightly. 

"No-"

"Wait, you put us in her room?" Zayn stood up in disgust.

"Yes, she doesn't need it."

"Yeah she does! You're making her sleep on a hammock for Christ's sake!" Niall took your defence. 

"You know what?" You spoke up and once again everyone quieted down. "It's a beautiful night, I'll be fine." You smiled. You simply walked out deciding to make the best of it; there was no point in wasting your breath with Meredith as she probably would have degraded you to sleeping at the bottom of the pool with two ten pound weights attached to your hips. It's just who she is. 

"She's really sweet-" Niall started.

"I'm sweet too!" Star interjected a little too quickly.

"Not more sweet than me!" Marry fought back.

"I'm not the one that stole her last phone when Derek called her-"

"Yeah, but I didn't drop her phone in the pool either!" They bickered about the time they destroyed your phone because a boy they 'liked' made a phone call to you; little did they know, he was looking for a tutor. See, before you were pulled out of school, you were actually a good student. 

"Wait, you both destroyed her phone?" Louis raised an eyebrow in disbelief.

There was an awkward and pressing silence before both girls screamed, "It was her!".

"Stop this." Meredith shook her head. "Sam is the help, worthless to this conversation. Let's move on, besides my girls are prizes, Sam is more of a burden." The three shared an off laugh before turning back to the business half of things. 

You walked out and wrapped yourself in the blanket a few times over before hopping into the knit hammock as a warm bundle. You laid beneath the stars and admired their glimmer as you faded off to a peaceful sleep with a smile on your face. Your happiness was your choice, that lesson you learned a while ago.

...............................................................................

I need feedback for the next chapter! It's so important to me! Please write your thoughts!

Also, I would really appreciate a vote? Will anyone vote for me? Love you guys! <3