Chapter 33~ How

Listen to "Someone Like You" by Adele.

After a few minutes of driving around, I realised a few things. Firstly, I had no idea where I was going and the car was steadily running out of gas, which led to the other realization; I had absolutely no cash with me. No credit card, nothing at all which could be considered money.

Unless you counted the old nickels I found under the seat, and they were honestly useless here in the old streets of Bath. I groaned loudly before parking the car by the side of the road and placing my head on the steering wheel.

What next?

The logical answer came to me in half of a second, call Lance, he'll book you a flight to New York immediately or will come here just to be with you.

Only I couldn't do that because Lance was a traitor too, I trusted him and he kept that secret from me. Me, the woman that had always confided every single thing about her life in him. It fucking hurt that he'd treat me that way and I was going to let him know just how I felt.

My fingers were already dialling his number before my brain was aware of my actions and the phone rang for a few seconds before I heard his voice.

"Rina?" He yawned and I could picture him rubbing his clear blue eyes tiredly. "This better be good because heaven knows I'm stressed out thanks to this CWE-352 error Malory gave me to work on."

Malory was his boss, the blonde badass lesbian that ran the whole security agency Lance worked for. The woman had remarried so many times that no one could even keep track of her marriage life anymore. I had come to respect her, even more, the day she had hacked into one of China's most secure database systems, gotten the information and left without a trace all within the space of seven minutes. Lance had said what she did would normally take even an above-average hacker no less than twelve hours.

On the general, anything Malory couldn't hack into was impenetrable.

I closed my eyes, wanting to cry, needing to cry even, because some people said that crying generally made you feel better about yourself. Too bad I didn't have that luxury of being able to produce tears.

"Rina? Are you still there?" Lance sounded puzzled and I realized that I hadn't uttered a word at all.

"How could you?" I finally said, venom dripping from every word and rage rising steadily.

"Rina, did I do something wrong?" His tone showed absolute surprise at the sudden harshness of my tone. "Is this about me being tired? Alright, I'll take a break from this error and talk to you then."

"Isabella."

We were both silent, how long the silence was, I didn't know but I had the ominous feeling that whatever confrontation was about to happen wouldn't end well.

"Karina, you have to understand," he began, softly and picking his words lightly so as not to offend me. "I couldn't exactly--"

"Do what?" I snapped. "Tell me you met mother behind me and found out I had a twin? I've trusted you with everything about my life and this is how you treat me?"

"Rina, wait--"

"Gerard hit her, she died on our birthday. You knew this too?"

"Yes, but --"