Fleeting

Scribbling the last few details needed to complete her paperwork, Emi felt her heart race as if she were about to some life-altering choice that would ruin all of her relationships she developed from the last year. Nezu became a close acquaintance, especially since he was watching her closely at UA and sending her on missions to see how she would deal with a situation outside of Japan. Hizashi and Nemuri frequently came over to the apartment to chat or hang out with Emi, Shota, and Eri during the weekends. It wasn't long after the school year began that Hizashi and Nemuri discovered Emi suffered from severe depression and anxiety. Toshinori and Emi eventually went to talk at a coffee shop which gradually became a regular place for them to discuss life, struggles, and anything that was on their minds. It was strange to think that she had developed a close bond with the previous number one hero, trusting him so much that she would bring up certain situations to him before she did to even Shota.

Shota...he meant so much to Emi. Usually, she shared everything with him that was on her mind, but there were times where it felt like no one could understand what she was going through. It was difficult for her since she sensed that she was a constant problem for him. Her meds were regularly getting changed, she switched counselors twice recently in the last year and a half, and her emotions were going haywire, no matter what she did to try and cope with them.

Placing her pen into the side drawer of the desk, Emi grabbed the paperwork as she stood up.

"What are those for?"

Not expecting anyone to be in the room, Emi jolted.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

Turning around, Emi met eyes with her fiance. Grazing her fingers through her hair, she tilted her head as she pondered what was on his mind.

Approaching her, Shota wrapped his arms around her in an embrace. "It's fine; we don't have to talk about it now."

Biting her lip, Emi raised her head to make eye contact. "No, you deserve to know." Glancing down, she thought through the situation before speaking. "I've been filling out paperwork for a passport. Eventually, I'll be getting a visa."
Studying her eyes long and hard, Shouta finally uttered, "Are you planning on leaving Eri and me here alone? Why the heck do you need to leave the country for and especially for that long."

Nervously playing with her cardigan, Emi briefly looked away. She knew that she would have to tell Shouta sometime about her work. Not about her being a spy necessarily, but that it would involve with her leaving the country. "I'm not planning on leaving you two alone forever; I'll be back eventually..."

Turning his head in disgust, Shouta contemplated on how to address the situation. He was hurt, and his heart felt like it had split in two. How could she leave him and Eri behind...it didn't make any sense.

Taking hold of Shouta's face by making him face her, Emi began to fight tears as she spoke. "Please, forgive me."

"Forgive you for what?"

"For leaving the two of you behind," Emi uttered quietly. Her hands trembled as she held onto her fiance.

Narrowing his eyes on her ear, Shouta inquired, "Are you saying that you won't come back to Eri and me?"

"I don't know," Emi mumbled as she cried into Shouta's chest.

Struggling to be patient with her, Shouta clenched his jar to control himself from snapping at her. "What do you mean you don't know. You either know, or you don't." He remarked.

Lifting her head from his chest, Emi could read mixed emotions of confusion, anger, and frustration in his eyes. Abrupting, she pushed herself off of Shouta sprinting out of their apartment building. Without turning to look behind her, she continued to run until she had no clue where she was. Hearing her phone go off suddenly, she took it out of her pocket to see who was calling her. It was Shota. Was he worried about her? Did he run after her? If he did, he would have probably caught up to her and tackled her in some way. Hitting decline, Emi couldn't help, but sob to herself. Picking up her phone, she dialed an international number. Waiting for someone to pick up, she questioned whether or not she should hang up.