Suffocation

Arriving in New York City, Emi took a deep breath. Reaching for her purse, down by her feet, she set it on her lap and started scavenging through it, looking for her passport and her cellphone. Finding her U.S. passport, she unlocked her phone to check if she got any messages from Shota, Eri, or anyone else. Allowing her phone to connect itself back to the world, she glanced out the window. Most of these people on the plane were mostly of European descent, which meant that there probably wouldn't be a lot of Asian-Americans. Even though there was a neighborhood in New York City, it still wasn't the same as having people of the same descent surrounding you no matter where you went.

Recognizing that it was time for her to get up and off of the plane, Emi saw there was a massive line for non-U.S. citizens and U.S. citizens. With her being a U.S. citizen because of her father, she discovered that she got out much quicker. It was no surprise unfortunately that Americans had more benefits in some degrees, but she found it troublesome knowing that people who should have no problem such as a mom with two small kids had to wait for hours to enter the country.

Proceeding her way to the language pick-up, Emi checked her phone once again. Identifying that she had twelve messages and two calls from Shota, she couldn't help but giggle at the thought that he was spamming her for the first time. It was amusing to see that the tables had turned from her being the one who constantly spammed him to him now doing it to her.

Before checking out the messages, Emi playfully teased him, 'Looks like someone's already missing me and I haven't been gone more than twenty-four hours! By the way, I've landed in New York City. I don't know what it'll be like, but I'm hoping this month goes by fast, I miss you already too.' Sent 6:55 PM.

Checking the time, she noted that she was thirteen hours behind Shota and Eri. That meant that it was almost eight in the morning, which meant that Shota should be receiving her message. Pressing her lips together, she contemplated whether or not she should get a new phone considering she would be in the U.S. for a month.

Leaving the airport, Emi called for a taxi. Checking the cab for anyone else, she got in and set her items next to her. Without knowing an exact location, she requested, "Take me to the nearest Samsung store." She didn't know much about U.S. phones but figured she could start there.

Taking out her phone, she was about to text Shota about her decision, but she decided against it, thinking that someone might find her phone and connect the two. It didn't help that Shota didn't know what she was doing either. Pursing her lips, she thought through how to carry out the situation about her phone. How she to go from place to place? Was she bring both phones or one? She should have talked to Nezu about it, but it didn't cross her mind that this would be such a problem. Nezu didn't even leave any instructions for her to follow about where to live, how to carry out her new life in the city while she was here for a month, and how to contact her friends and family.

Buying a flip phone, Emi wasn't looking for anything fancy. She wanted something simple enough to get the job done. Receiving a message from Nezu, she discovered, he sent her an unknown number to call. Picking up the phone, she had finished setting up moments ago; she called the number.

"We've been waiting for Agent 092."

Listening to the voice carefully, Emi knew she had never heard this voice in her life. They certainly didn't have a Japanese accent nor an American. Who the hell were these people? Continuing to stay attentive, she carefully took note of everything that was said.

"Agent 012 told us you were to arrive around this time. Your first mission will require you to go 253 W 125th St. You will be handed a vanilla envelope right in front of the Apollo Theater. They will pass it to you without making eye contact. You will pass each other at exactly 8:34 PM."