Starting Over

TWO WEEKS LATER

Preparing Eri's randoseru (Japanese backpack for Elementary school children), Emi yelled down the hallway for her. "Eri, come on! We have to get you to school. It's your first day. We can't have you being late now, can we?"

Running from the bathroom, Eri reached out for her new backpack. "I'm coming! I had to brush my teeth first." Dressed in a white blouse, navy blue trousers, and beige trousers, the young girl opened the door while putting on her backpack on.

"Now slow down, Eri. You can't try to do multiple things at the same time."

Coming behind Eri, Emi helps her get on her backpack correctly. "Alright, let's make our way to the bus stop. Your school won't be too much farther once we get off at the third stop."

The two of them leave Yueei, get on the bus stop, and walk a few more blocks to Eri's new school. As they reach Eri's new school, they notice other students coming to school with their parents or guardians. Following the crowd, the two make their way to Eri's first-grade classroom where the teacher greeted her. "Hello, my name is Ms. Ando. You must be Eri! It's so great to meet you finally; I've heard so much about you already! When you enter the classroom, you will find multiple places where your name will be. The shelves on the wall are where you can put your jacket and book bag. We will sort the items in your backpack later. You'll find a desk with your name, too. "

Without overthinking about it, Eri bows down giving her new teacher respect. Quietly, Eri thanks her. "Thank you, Ms. Ando." After greeting her teacher, Eri enters the classroom with Emi and finds her desk and shelf.
"Eri, would you like me to stay with you until you feel comfortable?"

"No, I should be okay."

Hugging Eri before she left the classroom, Emi watched as Eri ran to meet some of her new classmates. "Ms. Ando, please call me if anything happens with Eri."

"She's in good hands Ms. Fukukado, but I will call if we have any concerns."

Before Emi left, she bowed out of reverence. Heading back, Emi decided to walk the whole way back to think over her job offer. At that moment, she was on the fence about accepting the position. Were there enough pros or cons to make her choice either way. Maybe the change would help her to become more relaxed. Working as a spy for the country of Japan would be extremely stressful most likely. Passing a hair salon, Emi remembered that she hadn't gotten her hair trimmed in a while. Thinking that she could use that time for herself to think about her final decision, she went in.

A woman in her mid-thirties greeted Emi. She was wearing a blue blouse, yellow slacks, and mid-calf black boots. "Hello, miss. How can I help you?"

"I would like to get a trim, but before that, I might want to try something different with my hair now thinking about it."

"You could try a perm, hair extensions, highlights, or dying it."

Thinking about her offered position again, Emi answered, "I'll go with the trim and color."

"Sounds great! I can help you over at that chair over there." The lady was pointing to a station decorated with little cat figurines scattered all over with her tools hidden in the side drawers where they were easily accessible to her.

Emi followed the lady to the station and sat herself down in the chair. What would Shota think? What would anyone think? Wanting a change for a long time, she finally decided to go through with it. Guessing that fate put her there, she convinced herself that this change would work out fine. It was just hair after all. It could always grow back to her natural seafoam green color.

Grabbing some supplies from the cabinets, the lady made her way over to Emi and put the cutting cape around her neck. Leaning in, she asked, "Are you sure you want to dye and cut your hair? It's gorgeous."
Nodding her head, she made a sure answer. "Yes, I'm sure."