Chapter 3

I'm incredibly sorry for not posting this chapter sooner, but real life is busy at the moment. I will try to update sooner next time, but no promises.

Copyright © All Rights Reserved

A Fight without Remorse

Chapter 3

Relaxing in her seat, Alexis let out a satisfied sigh as she watched Marcus leave through the front gate. She had been totally unfair and disrespectful in her treatment of him. Under normal circumstances, she would never have let her emotions get in the way of maintaining her professional posture. Marcus simply triggered something inside of her which made her want to lash out at him as she spat in his face.

His cocky attitude did nothing to contain her inner beast either. The fact that he dared to speak to her in that way, made the tiny hairs on her arms stand up. He was supposed to follow orders, treat her with the respect she'd earned and do it with an obedient smile on his face. Instead of behaving professionally, he'd been making fun of her in the hotel manager's presence. That behavior was completely unacceptable. Marcus had better watch his back or she would follow through with her threats and send him packing.

Clause or no clause, she wasn't about to let Marcus Jordan leave her company in ruins. He would not succeed in making her look the fool in front of her employees. Marcus had no right to behave in such and arrogant and condescending manner. Just what gave him the right to expect preferential treatment? He was no better than any of the other hundreds of people employed by the HEHG Corporation. The cleaning people were treated with the same degree of respect as the hotel managers were.

"What was that all about?" Carly asked cautiously, not knowing whether she should interfere or not. She had patiently watched the entire scene unfold between her boss and her new assistant. Clearly they weren't friends by any stretch of the imagination! Why on earth would a strong confident woman like Alexis ever hire the likes of this Marcus guy? He hadn't afforded Miss Henderson even a modicum of respect. The man's head was clearly in the clouds and beyond arrogant to boot!

“I was obligated to hire him due to an issue regarding my mother. We don't exactly get along," Alex answered, deciding she could trust Carly with a part of the truth. Carly seemed reliable even though she was practically drooling over Marcus only minutes before. It was clear she understood that she would have to be smart about this and take her place in Alex's corner.

"For now we need to get back to business. I called a few plumbers to see about getting the repair work done. They're apparently all too busy to help us out here. I will be meeting with a few of them later today to try to persuade them to change their minds. No one says *no* to Alexis Johnson without a valid reason," she went on ending their personal conversation. Carly was still her employee. There were still several hours left in this working day.

The woman nodded and they continued discussing business. Except for the problem with the aqueduct, everything was going according to plan. Most of the kinks had been worked though. Carly turned out to be a great team player. She managed to keep the staff entertained and happy in their jobs with Henderson hotels.

The restaurant furnishings and kitchen appliances would be delivered in the next couple few days. Most of the guest rooms were already fully equipped. The five master suites still needed some decorating. Due to the plumbing conundrum, the Jacuzzi baths had yet to be installed. The first floor swimming pool still needed work too.

The most important things were completed. It was just the minor details that still needed attention. The restaurant needed the most work. They still hadn't been able to hire enough staff to work in the kitchen. The menu was far from ready. A master chef still needed to be hired. After the aqueduct work was repaired, hiring a chef was the next top priority.