Epilogue

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

A Fight without Remorse

Epilogue

Not everything in life is a piece of cake. Sometimes you have to work hard and push your limits to reach your ultimate goal. Alex and Marc had been through a lot over the past year. Their hard work and persistence paid off, bringing them to where they were today.

Their relationship had its ups and downs, a seriously bumpy road. They had to traverse many obstacles. Obstacles requiring their rapt attention and efforts to overcome. Initially their reunion consisted of friendship. They both gave it their all to really get to know each other. Marcus continued his 'Friday tradition' of giving her notes, each one peeling back another layer of himself.

In return, Alexis wrote him letters revealing her own secrets to him. Alex still was gifted with seven beautiful roses every week. No matter how hard she begged, Marcus refused to capitulate, continuing to send her flowers. It was his way of telling her how much he did indeed love her and only her. She was his whole world.   

Three months after she learned of his charitable foundation, she rehired Marcus as her executive assistant. They were quite the talk of the business world. The value of HEHG stock went up over 10% since they rekindled their business collaboration. The Henderson empire was expanding almost daily as plans for new hotels were being drafted. It seemed the sky was the limit with their success.

Today was a special day, however, and it had nothing to do with the company. They were celebrating the one year anniversary of their friendship. They were going on a date. It would be the first time, aside from the roses and the letters, they'd done anything remotely romantic. Alexis had absolutely no idea what Marcus had been up to, but she suspected something big. 

They had grown so much closer over the past several months. She loved him with all her heart, even though she had never said the words out loud. Marcus told her every morning how much he loved her, yet she hadn't been able to respond in kind.

As silly as it felt, she was afraid. Afraid to bare her soul. Afraid the words would somehow make everything real.  No matter how much she trusted Marc not to leave, there was still a tiny part of her that didn't quite trust that he wasn't playing her. Shane had destroyed her trust in men, Marcus had both built it up and torn it to shreds with his deception.

Even after so much time has passed, she hadn’t fully overcome her trust issues, maybe she never would. The deep wounds were so imbedded in her psyche, she didn't know if those scars would ever be erased. 

“You picked the perfect dress,” Jade smiled cheekily as she stepped into the room and checked her sister out. Alex smiled and nodded. After endless hours of shopping, she finally found the dress. It was a strapless, deep sea blue gown that ended just above her knee. There was a small v-cut in the bustier of the dress, showing off a delicious amount of cleavage. It was the perfect outfit for their first official date.

Nerves were crackling through her body, gripping her heart and making her jittery with the need to do something – anything – but sit still. She was slowly, but surely going absolutely insane. Marcus hadn’t dropped a single hint of where they would be going tonight. He’d only told her to wear a dress. 

“Have you figured out what he's up to?" she questioned her sister, slipping on one of her four inch heels. They were the same color as her dress and matched the outfit perfectly. 

“Nope, I only know it’s something big,” Jade winked, handing her a pair of silver earrings. 

Alex accepted the jewelry and put them on. “What do you mean by something big?” she asked in confusion. She’d suspected they’d be going to some fancy restaurant for dinner. Maybe they'd go to the movies or a Broadway show afterward.