Chapter 10

Copyright 2013 © Rosesareforever

A Fight without Remorse

Chapter 10

Living with Marcus hadn't turned out to be the disaster she feared. It was actually going rather well. To be quite honest, it was much better than anticipated. He didn’t leave junk lying around nor did he leave the house in chaos. He cleaned up his messes. Also, he made a point of telling her when he'd be home and when he was going out. It was a pleasant surprise that things turned out to be so easy between them.

“You have a board meeting at one o’clock, don’t be late,” Marcus informed her before taking his coat off the peg and putting on a pair of handmade leather shoes. It was crystal-clear that Marcus enjoyed the finer things in life that and reveled in having the money to afford such things. Rarely did she see him wearing anything but his hand tailored Italian suits and custom made leather shoes.

The few times he did go with casual attire, It was still lucrative brands like Armani, Roberto Cavalli or Levi Strauss & Co. She honestly wondered if he’d ever set foot in a Walmart, Target or other inexpensive retail stores. It didn’t take her long to realize that the contents of his apartment probably cost more than a years’ worth of Alex’ CEO salary.

“I will try my best,” Alex replied as she took another bite of her freshly made bacon and eggs. Marcus had been awake for a while and had already eaten by the time she strolled out of the bathroom. They usually ate breakfast separately. Marcus, being a morning person, tended to get up early. Alex, on the other hand, liked to sleep-in and enjoyed a few extra hours of sleep. Usually Marcus was busy working in his study by the time she got up in the morning.

The first few days of her stay, they cooked dinner together. Lately Marc was making a habit out of coming home late so she quit waiting for him. Her stomach demanded to be fed regularly. She suspected Marc was trying to keep his distance from her. After all, he always kept her at arm’s length. She had no clue as for why, soon she became accustomed to it.

Marcus really excelled in his capacity as her personal assistant. It lightened up her workload considerably. At first she had been wary of his methods, but soon learned to trust his opinion. He could be glum and rather bold, but knew how the business world worked. In their nearly two weeks of working side by side, he had yet to disappoint her. 

Time had flown and honestly she was gaining a new appreciation for Marc's work. In the beginning, the only thing she wished was for him to stay the hell out of her life. However, her opinion of Marcus had changed. In fact, she was thankful to have him by her side. Tons of work had piled up and the fire related stress wasn't healthy. It was beyond reassuring to have someone trustworthy knowing she didn't have to shoulder the burden of all these problems on her own. 

“Are you going to the charity gala on Saturday? If so, I'll need to rearrange your Sunday morning schedule. I doubt you’ll want to be up at the crack of dawn Sunday morning if you're planning a late night," Marcus questioned before leaving through the front door.

He couldn’t believe two weeks had already passed since Alexis moved in with him. The police were still busy investigating the fire. So far, they hadn't made any progress solving the case. They suggested that she stay off the radar for at least a month before searching a new apartment. Once the media storm died down, it would be safer for Alex to live on her own again. 

He hadn’t found any dirty secrets about Alex or the company yet. His stepfather would not be very happy. He truly hoped the man wouldn't interfere with his plans again. Peter risked exposure with his hair brained idea. That stupid stunt could've easily dropped the curtain on their devious scheme.  All their hard work would've gone up in flames along with Alex' apartment.