7

It wasn’t hard to settle into life at Niall’s flat. I think having a baby to take care of made it impossible for things to get awkward. Since we first met each other, we had skipped all of the steps that are usually taken on the road to becoming friends. We had just dived right in with our relationship, not really having a choice. We had been living together for a week when Niall came to the decision that it was time to take the next step.   

“I want you to meet my parents.” He announced one morning over breakfast. I nearly spit out my cereal in shock.

“Meet your family? Niall we’re not in an actual relationship, that’s not necessary.”

“I know but they technically have a grandson who they need to meet and you are his mum.” It was still weird being called someone’s mother. Unlike most moms, I didn’t have nine months to prepare for the title.

“What if they don’t like me? Or they think I’m a bad mother?” I worried.

“That’s absolutely ridiculous! My mum likes everybody. And you are a fantastic mum, little Cale is living proof.” Niall assured me.

“Fine.” I gave up on fighting against the idea. “When?”

“Um tomorrow.” Niall admitted sheepishly.

“You already had this planned out didn’t you?” The Irish lad nodded with a smile on his face. “Niall Horan I swear if I wasn’t holding a baby I would hit you. Hard!”

“Do not teach our kid violence!” He shouted and sprang up from his kitchen chair. “Come on Cale, we’re going to be real men and watch cartoons.” Niall scooped the baby out of my hands.

“No you’re not.” Liam said walking through the front door followed by Zayn, Louis and Harry who were strutting as if they were on a catwalk. I couldn’t help it, after Niall’s dramatic outburst and the three runway models I lost it. I was laughing so hard that tears were coming out of my eyes. The boys all just stared.

“What is wrong with your mommy?” Niall asked Cale who just stared in response. He was three weeks old now but according to information I had looked up online, he’d be able to start vocalizing at two months at least.

“I’m sorry!” I gasped between my giggles.

“What are you guys doing here?” Niall asked the other boys.

“Dude, I told you yesterday. We have a radio interview. Remember?”

“Oh crap, my bad. Things got crazy last night. Cale was up like six times and-“Niall started to ramble.

“Dude, save the daddy talk.” Zayn interrupted him.

“Right sorry.” Niall apologized. “Let me just go change.”

“I’ll go clean up Cale.” I offered, finally recovered from my laugh attack. We walked through the hallways and Niall grabbed my elbow before I could go to the nursery.

“Help me!” He commanded.

“With what?” I asked confused.

“I don’t know what to wear! Do you know how long it’s been since I’ve done laundry?”

“Niall, that’s kind of gross.” I scolded but followed him into his room nonetheless. It was the first time I had been in here and was not shocked to find socks and other articles of clothing strewn about the place. The huge bed was somewhat made with a blue duvet. The furniture was black and modern, with a sleek red laptop sitting atop Niall’s desk. I sat down in the middle of the unkempt bed, crossed my legs and laid Cale on his tummy in front of me. Niall went into his bathroom for a quick shower.