16

It's short and late, sorry.

--

Cale and I had been home for two days. Our second visit with Niall, in Germany, had been a joyous time. We crossed the halfway point of the tour about a month ago. During the visit Cale had had his nine month birthday. The boys along with Cale and I celebrated with dinner at an acclaimed German restaurant.

Without Niall the house seemed large and uninhabited. It's crazy to think this though because Cale has amassed toys every where around the large flat. Though Cale's toys were the least of my problems at the moment.

Are you busy? I texted Niall as I bounced a crying Cale on my hip. He had been crying for half an hour now and nothing I tried using to quiet him worked. Finally, I resorted to calling Niall, I had read that it is possible for babies to miss someone who they spend a lot of time around. Separation anxiety it's called.

I'm doing a meet & greet is something wrong? He replied a few minutes later.

No keep up the good work! I didn't want Niall to worry and start neglecting his fans. I had booted up my laptop in hopes of searching YouTube to show Cale videos of his dad when my phone started to vibrate. Trying to hush Cale a bit I answered the call.

"What's wrong? Is that Cale?" Niall's voice sounded over the speaker, I heard the excited chatter of girls and the boys' voices on the other side.

"Nothing's wrong, get back to your signing."

"Emily, whenever you're lying you start to have more pep than a cheerleader. Plus I can hear Cale crying. What's wrong?" I sighed and pushed my laptop away from Cale's flailing hands.

"I think Cale misses you. He's been crying non stop for half an hour and nothing's quieting him. Can you speak to him?" I heard Niall shuffling around then saying something to someone else.

"I can do something better, give me two minutes." He said then hung up the phone. I stared at the now quiet device in my hand. What's he going to do, fly home in two minutes?

True to his words two minutes later my Skype started to ring. His name popped up on the screen and I readily answered. "Niall?" His face appeared on the screen.

"Hey love, can you hear me?" He seemed to be straining his voice, the other voices around him had gotten even louder if possible.

"You're in the middle of a signing." I stated quite dumbfounded.

"Cale's more important, I miss him." Pulling Cale into the shot I pointed to Niall's face and said "daddy." He started to quiet down as soon as he saw Niall's face. He leaned forward and pressed his chubby hand to the screen as Niall beamed at him. I almost started to cry at the sweetness of it all.

"Emily are you crying?" Zayn's head suddenly appeared next to Niall's.

"No!" I protested and started wiping at my cheeks. Niall pushed Zayn out, yelling "Family moment!" before turning back to us. He gave me a small smile conveying that he understood how I felt.

"I miss you guys." He said so quietly I was only able to make it out by reading his lips.

"We miss you too." Thankfully Cale had stopped crying and began to settle sleepily into my arms. His eyes started to droop until finally they were closed and he was asleep.

"I'll call you when I'm done okay?" Niall said as a man dressed in black whispered something in his ear. I nodded and moved to shut down the call. "I love you." He had taken to saying this every time we ended a call.

"I love you too." I honestly told him but meant in a totally platonic way. Totally.

--

The second big event that happened in Cale's life was one big step up from where he had been.

It was one of those nights when I was alone. The other girlfriends all had other plans and Niall was of course on tour. After last weeks separation anxiety that Cale underwent Niall  had taken to Skyping us around Cale's bedtime every night to talk to him. Tonight was different though, Niall was in the middle of the concert and I had to rely on YouTube videos to get Cale quiet.

As I booted up my laptop I chanced a glance up to make sure Cale was still sitting on the floor in front of me. He wasn't. Instead the baby was holding on to the edge of the coffee table and standing of his own accord. I let out a startled squeak and grabbed my phone. Cale just stared at me as if I were crazy before he started to smile. I snapped a few pictures of him smiling and standing before peppering his face with kisses.

"I'm so proud of you!" I gushed to the baby.

After I'd gotten Cale onto my lap with a video of Niall playing I texted him the photos.

Ni he's growing up. Did this all by himself!

Surprisingly I got a reply minutes later.

Dammit I can't believe I missed that. Trying hard not to cry proud tears right now

I smiled to myself before placing my phone down and putting a sleeping Cale to bed.

The next morning I was doing my usual routine of getting ready for school and taking care of Cale. Hannah, the babysitter arrived at seven like normal.

"Have you seen videos from last nights concert?" She asked me as she played peek-a-boo with Cale in his highchair.

"No why?" I asked and slipped on my shoes.

"Lemme see your laptop." She demanded. Although a few years older than I was she was more like a friend than an employee. I handed her the desired electronic. "Here." She said a few minutes later and shoved it across the table to me. I watched the video quietly.

The boys were performing one of their songs. Afterwards Niall reached into his pocket and tries to sneakily check his phone. As he scans the screen a giant smile lights up his face and he audibly says "Oh my god." The boys all shoot him weird looks and he holds up a hand to them.

"I just want everyone to know that five minutes ago my son stood by himself for the first time." Every one started to scream and cheer even louder and the other boys all wrapped Niall in a group hug. They then passed around his phone to see the picture. During the next song Niall really did look like he was on the verge of tears although the smile never left his face.