10

“So tired.” Niall yawned as he plopped onto the couch beside me. He had just officially woken up after a long night of constant interruptions. It was the day after the interview and we had been up almost all night with Cale.

Not only were we dealing with the feedback from fans (most of it positive) but Cale was sick too. He was running a light fever and had been fussy all night. He had another checkup scheduled for tomorrow but I called the doctor’s office and got it moved up to today at noon. Unfortunately, Niall had to go to the recording studio at nine but he still insisted on coming to the appointment. How he’s going to pull that off, I have no idea. As I thought about our plans for today Cale started to squirm fitfully in my arms. I adjusted him and rubbed his back trying to keep him from bursting into tears again.

“Do not go back to sleep on me mister!” I scolded as Niall’s eyes started to droop. He sighed and stood up then grabbed his keys off the kitchen table.

“I guess I’ll go pick up breakfast if I’m not allowed to sleep.” He compromised and ran a hand through his already messy hair.

“Niall,” I started, entertained by how oblivious he was. “Just because it’s seven in the morning and your famous doesn’t mean you can go buy food shirtless.” He gave me an exasperated look then trudged back to his room. I let out a breath I didn’t know I had been holding and continued to soothingly rub Cale's back. After Niall and I's first week of living together he decided it was okay to return to his old sleeping habits. This means he slept with no shirt on but when we are constantly up with each other during the night, it’s quite distracting. I didn’t have feelings for Niall, god no, he simply had an attractive body and because of this it makes it hard to function normally when it’s on display.

“Are you happy mother?” Niall sarcastically asked then cracked a goofy smile. He had returned wearing a plain red t-shirt atop his plaid pajama bottoms. I nodded and shooed him out the door, my stomach already starting to growl at the mention of food.

--

“I’ll try to get to the doctor’s as soon as I can yeah?” Niall stated but it came out as more of a question. I nodded in agreement whilst changing Cale’s diaper and making silly faces at him. I actually couldn’t speak because I was holding my breath. Even after almost a month of doing this, the nasty ones were still crippling for both Niall and I. He smirked at my discomfort and pressed a kiss to my temple and then Cale’s head as I finished cleaning up the baby’s mess.

“Get better little man.” Niall softly told the baby. A small smile crept onto my face as I watched the exchange between the two. Cale appraised him with his blue eyes and then gurgled, too sick to smile.

After Niall left to record the boys’ album Cale and I were left to entertain ourselves for three hours. I put the television on a quiet volume and tried to comfort Cale as best I could. It was obvious that he didn’t feel good but I didn’t know what was wrong, much less how to make him happy. At that moment I understood how mothers felt when their children had to get shots or do other unpleasant but necessary things. There’s nothing that they can do to take away the pain and because it hurts their children it in turn hurts them, it hurts me. My child is in pain and discomfort yet I can’t do anything to help him.

The waiting room was a pale blue with beige carpet. The chairs were set up against three of the four walls. In the middle of the space were toys and books to entertain the children. I was in a plastic chair with Cale next to me in his carrier. It was ten minutes to 12 and Niall hadn’t shown up, not that I expected him this early. There were a few other moms with children in the room, some accompanied by dads and some not. Luckily, I didn’t feel very out of place that is until Niall showed up seven minutes later.