29) Shattered remnants of a fragmented past

Chapter 29 --- Land of the Dead

Shattered remnants of a fragmented past

"How'd you figure out about the cure?" Kat questioned, looking at Alice with the slightest hint of curiosity in both of her eyes. One overflowed with warmth and radiance, and the other was like a mysterious sea with a thick blanket of mist.

"When I was weaving throughout that building over there," Alice pointed at a building in the distance, where she had shot the man. She felt absolutely terrible, but knew it had to be done. All she wanted to do was burst into tears and collapse on the ground. "I overheard Rose talking to Jett in another room. She explained the whole process. She explained a hell of a lot of things which just don't make sense. I can't believe I have to repeat myself."

"And you choose to believe her, of all people." The words spilt from Flynn's lips out into the open like black ink on calligraphy paper. Alice met his gaze.

"There's nothing else to believe in. I guess I just want to latch onto something, and hope that it's true. She mentioned 'cure'. You have to admit that that grab everyones attention nowadays."

Flynn couldn't deny it. He broke off his intense glare to gaze upon the ground instead. Kat kept her focus on Alice, gesturing for her men to lay down their weapons.

"This battle between us isn't over yet. In fact, it's only just begun. But before I shoot one of you dead cold, tell me how this cure works."

Alice looked Kat in the eye. "That's enough. You don't need to know anything more."

Kat laughed slightly, unperturbed by Alison. "Actually, I need to know everything, if you don't mind."

"You can't kill me, otherwise you'll never find out about the cure."

"Hmm," Kat took a step closer, brushing her bouncy curls out of her face. "You're right, in a way. I could easily find Rose, and usher the truth out of her. But I'm simply too lazy. However," Kat paused for a split second. "Just because I can't kill you without risking valuable information, doesn't mean I can't kill your little friends over here." She gestured towards Ivy and Flynn. They stayed rooted to their spots in horror.

"I'm right, aren't I?"

• • •

"Y-You..." Jett began. "No...no, I simply r-r-refuse to believe that bullshit."

"You should believe it."

"I-I can't."

"You can."

"SHUT UP!" Jett shouted. "I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT!"

"Then what do you believe in?"

Jett paused. He didn't know what to believe in anymore. And by the time he believed in something, it was already too late. "I believe," Jett pressed the sword further into her neck, letting a thin line of blood dribble down her neck. "That humanity will one day be restored to what it once was like."

With hesitation, he pressed the blade into her neck, and watched as the last signs of life were drained from her weakened body. A smile was still planted on Rose's lips, and her last words still echoed inside Jett's head, a memory he thought he'd never forget.

Jett stood up, stumbled about, and sheathed his sword. He stepped out of the room, gently locked it, and absently let fat tears roll down his cheeks. He knew it had to be done, but now having done it, he felt a surge of sadness and grief wash over him. She'd been there for a while, not as long as Ivy and Flynn, but long enough. He thought he could trust Rose to an extent, but now the truth had been revealed; she was a liar. This whole entire time.