18) Gone with the wind

Chapter 18 --- Land of the Dead

Gone with the wind

"She's gone." Flynn said bluntly.

"What do you mean she's gone?"

"As in she's just disappeared, Jett. She's left us...and she's taken the car with her."

Jett started pulling at his hair. He wanted to unleash all his anger upon someone; preferably Flynn, but he put a lid on it instead. He didn't speak, he just bit his lip and blinked a couple of times.

"She'll return." He said after a few awkward moments of silence. "She'll return and everything will be fine and then..." Jett trailed off. He stuck himself to the wall. Flynn shook his head as Ivy stepped foot into the kitchen, a look of fear plastered on her face.

"...what do we do?" She whispered, knowing of Alice's disappearance. Flynn shut his eyes tight.

"Isn't it obvious? We go out searching for her." Flynn's eyes fluttered open.

"Without any transport?" Jett murmured. Ivy and Flynn stayed quiet for a minute before Flynn shook his head and sighed.

"How about we split up or something. Rose, Victoria and Ivy if she wants can stay here and help occupy the twins."

Ivy nodded understandingly. "Of course. But I'm sure Victoria will want to come along."

"Go and ask her, then." Flynn sighed. "That means you," he pointed at Jett. "Slate and I will go out and search for her. I'll tell Slate of the situation."

"Okay." And with that, Ivy disappeared.

"Maybe I should stay here." Jett muttered quickly before Flynn took off. He raised an eyebrow.

"Why?"

"Because she's angry at me, isn't it obvious? Me showing up will leave no chances of her returning."

After a few minutes of silence, Ivy returned with Rose.

"She wants to come in Victorias place. Victoria would like to stay here."

Jett nodded his head before peeling himself off the wall. "Okay, I'll stay here then."

Flynn watched Jett disappeared, a frown planted on his face.

• • •

Alice parked the car on the edge of a cliff before abruptly bursting into tears. She buried her face in her hands and whispered, "Why...nobody understands at all...they don't understand what it's like...." She wiped her eyes.

She could see her reflection in the side mirror. Her hair was tangled and warm tears trickled down her blood crusted, red and flustered cheeks. Her cinnamon-brown eyes were full of regret. She didn't bother to wipe away the tears, because they symbolised that she was still alive, and that she hadn't died in the apocalypse- yet.

She kept sobbing, bringing her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms around them. She wanted to fade away, but knew that it wasn't possible. She wanted to feel the rain against her skin; the cold nip at her nose and fingers. She wanted to taste sweet, decadent hot chocolate once more. But that just wasn't possible.

After a few minutes of sobbing alone, having found a tissue-box in the glovebox, she tore a tissue and wiped her eyes with it. She hiccuped slightly and decided she'd just drive towards nowhere. They would've noticed her disappearance by now and they'd be going after her without a doubt, even if she's stolen their only mode of transport.

Alice stretched out her legs and yawned. She gently touched her shoulder wound. The blood had dried, but she figured that she'd still have to treat it anyway. She combed her hair with her fingers. It was thick and frizzy and bits clung together with dried blood. She looked pathetic and disgusting.