Memories - 18.2

Kyles POV

When Elizabeth found me months ago, I was hiding in plain sight. My farm was a front for the opposition, so I was more in the public eye than I had been in years. Werewolf leaders who had evaded capture during the war were slowly building up the opposition and my farm was the main base. I ran it like a proper farm with a few other young guys from the army. It was our skill set before the war and it was now being put to good use.

Many of us were weak after the war and needed places to recuperate. Our farm was one of the main stations for this. Leaders had been lost, and we took in those that needed something to do while the remaining leaders figured out what to do. Finding enough people to fight back again was challenging, everyone was so exhausted.

A lot of Werewolf territory had been destroyed during the war but after the war, the Vampires all went back to their homes. They didn't want this land, they just wanted the power that came with destroying it.

However, as Elizabeth understood, the war had never really ended, we were just waiting for the right moment. She came to visit the farm, knowing who we were. I wasn't particularly important, however, I was a Witch in old Werewolf territory, so I could help in the places where Vampires may come. I would be left alone, as I was not considered a threat, and therefore most of the land around me would be left alone too.

Most Witches chose to fight alongside the Werewolves during the war. I grew up in Vampire territory, so although I was drafted for their side, I quickly switched sides once I saw a safe opportunity. I wasn't going to fight for the enslavement of Werewolves and Shifters, I wasn't going to fight for the enslavement of my cousin Annabelle. She already had it bad enough growing up in Vampire territory.

The Werewolves had their issues too, ones that needed to be fixed, as they held just as many prejudices against Vampires as Vampires held against them. However, they did not want to enslave a whole other species. Joining the Werewolves meant, after the war, I could never go home. I could never see my little sister, my parents, or Annabelle ever again. It was my biggest sacrifice. A necessary one.

I wondered time and time again what they were told about me. If they were told that I had died or that I was a traitor... or if they had just never heard anything at all. Even though they may never have known what happened to me, I knew what happened to them.

I spent weeks crying when I had heard of their fate. All of them... left dead. Burned in their sleep. With protection wards forbidden, they had become compliant to the Vampires, and they never saw it coming.

I stayed at my farm, working until it was time to avenge all of those who had lost their lives due to the greed that the Vampires displayed.

When Elizabeth showed up and called for a meeting, we knew it was time. She said she had heard of a girl who was going to change everything and we were going to need to be prepared.

The interesting thing about this girl was that she was not super powerful, leading her army, anything like that. She just had a kind heart and was going to help change the minds of some very powerful people. It seemed far fetched, however, when we had gotten word that the Vampire Prince had visited Elizabeth at her manor enquiring about the girl, we knew she was right and we started to seriously prepare.

We thought we had more time when Elizabeth and Franklin showed up knocking down our door. We had never met Franklin before and some were frightened of him, however, I knew another like him and knew that just because he was different, more powerful even, it did not mean he was dangerous.

I greeted them both like warm friends. As Elizabeth went to speak with leaders about the next steps, I sat with Franklin. We talked about what was important to us. He was kind, it was a cathartic experience sharing our stories. Eventually, throughout our conversation, I had brought up my cousin, Annabelle, a young girl who was not unlike him. How we were forced to hide her Witch side, for fear of her execution. It was easier to hide her Witch side by reducing her magic and I explained I don't think she ever found out.