Chapter 25

A loud, mighty roar jolted me from sleep, sounding as if it was right in my ear. I sat up, my heart beating wildly, convinced that I was going to die. I remembered where I was and relaxed slowly, remembering what grandpa always taught me; if you hear a lion roar, he's sated.

My heart slowed down and, in the pale light of the rising sun, I could just make out the panther seated outside the tent.

"Be quiet and get in here!" I grumbled, wiping sleep out of my eyes.

"A hundred and seventy this sunrise," Warren sighed in my head.

"Wow! You're ancient!"

He laughed softly and the panther padded into the tent, silent as ever, and lay next to me, its head on its paws.

"You're beautiful," I whispered, again awed by his beauty. I reached out and caressed him. His fur was warm, thick and velvety, and I ran my hand over it, loving it's feel.

"My aim is to rest, and you are not aiding it."

I ran my hand down his forepaw. "Do I have to? Whoa, this is heavy!" I was failing to lift his paw. He gave a low growl and lifted the paw slightly so I could place it on my lap. It felt like he was an adult humoring a kid. Well, he was a hundred and seventy...

"Where are your claws?"

"Tractable."

"Well, un-tract them then."

"I warned you to keep away from them."

"Hey, open your eyes. You're falling asleep on me."

"That is my aim."

I cradled his head. "Open!"

He opened his eyes. "You're insufferable!"

I giggled and relented, then caressed between his ears. No cat, not even a massive, perfect, half human one, could resist that. He wiggled his ears in pleasure and pushed his whiskers forward in a classic cat smile. His purr was a sweet, low rumble. "Belle, please!"

"Fine. Sleep." He phased to human while I crawled towards the tent flap. He easily hooked an arm around me and dragged me back to him. He pulled me up against his chest, immediately warming my back. His voice was a deliciously sleepy drawl as he whispered in my ear, "The sun is not fully risen. Rest awhile."

As if I'd complain, I thought as I snuggled up against him. I remembered my dream the previous night; I'd been running through the forest, playing hide and seek. I was having a lot of fun and I'd been laughing and laughing. Except the laughter had been in my head, like a thought. And when I'd been running, I hadn't felt like myself, because I'd been running on all fours.

Like a cat.

Talk about Warren driving me crazy, I thought sleepily, already drifting.

***

"Jog my memory as to why I do not simply convey you to the top?" Warren asked politely.

"Because," I gasped, struggling to keep my foothold on the mountainside, "you said we're going hiking and I plan to do it right." My foot slipped on one of the scraggly rock outcrops and I lurched forward. Warren, who was standing above me watching curiously, caught my arm and steadied me. "Thanks."

"Of course."

He kept his hold on me as I started to pick my way up again. A brilliant flash disoriented me and I teetered sideways. Warren kept me steady and said calmly, "Kindly desist. She has no need of a distraction."