Hole In The Ground

I had gotten a coffin and everything. Fonr’ir’s body was going to be kept in a beautiful coffin. Easy at the touch, and pleasing to the eyes. It would be buried in the ground a few days from now, Fonr’ir’s lifeless body kept in it’s hold. Soon this would all be over, and everyone will be happy once more. No one needn’t worry, I’d just jump in the river after the funeral. I’d swim away, so that the creatures of the meadow would be with me no longer.

      Soon we were all at the funeral, all dressed in black, yet vibrant smiles on our faces. I got it. Everyone thought I was a monster for killing Fonr’ir, and now they were scared that if they were to cry, I’d kill them, too. 

      Some of the creatures didn’t even go. They stayed at home, afraid that I’d obliterate them, because they were to easy to crying. I wish they weren’t so afraid of me. I couldn’t control my anger toward the sad emotion- they didn’t realize this. Augh- I’m so awful.

      So we all stood around Fonr’ir’s coffin. Still smiling, as if nothing was wrong. Though everything was, and despite the bright smiles I gave, all I felt was sadness in my heart. What was I turning into? I was turning into the creatures that resided in this land- turning into a soft, so soft, crybaby.

      Fynr’ir was close to me, eyes closed, smile on her face. I could tell silently that she was sad too. Though since she was right beside me, she couldn’t be secret with her sadness. Unlike how I was right now. A frown was on my face, the creatures looking at me wide-eyed, yet unspoken, their mouths glued to that hideous smile that blessed their faces. What have I done?

      I coughed, grasping the handle of the coffin, gently releasing it into the hole in the ground. Sadness engulfed me, tears beginning to bubble in my eyes. What was wrong with me? No wonder I hated this wretched emotion! It was so sad- I was actually crying for this foul creature of mine. Everyone of the creatures just stared at me, and when Fonr’ir’s body was finally safely in the hole in the ground. Dirt now cascaded over it. 

      “Fonr’ir. Just remember, we all love you.” I choke, knowing this wouldn’t even be happening if I could control my emotions. Everyone around me just kept smiling, though there was this one, who I knew was going to cry.

      I was right.

      She began crying, and I looked to her, sympathetic. “Do not cry, young child. It is alright.” She looked at me, scared, terrified that I would obliterate her. I knew then that I was genuinely a monster.

      I looked around frantically, they were all looking at me, confused, tears still in my eyes as I knew not what to do, but to scream. I screamed, running of towards the river. Knowing that the deed I was about to do would relieve the creatures of the forest forever.