Christmas Cards ~ Hungary

Art is not mine.

~--~*~--~

Y/N opened their door and went out into the cold afternoon to get the mail. Their feet crunched on the light snow, making a satisfying sound. They opened the mailbox, took out all the letters at once, and shuffled through them while they walked back into the house.

One of the pieces of mail caught their eye. It was a red envelope from their long-time crush, Hungary. Y/N blushed at seeing it, thinking of the brown-haired female they adored so much. Why would she send them a letter?

Y/N immediately realized it was a Christmas card as soon as they opened it. The card was white on the outside, with shiny green writing on the front that said 'From Elizabeta and Roderich...' Once opened, there was a picture of Hungary and Austria in sweaters sitting in front of a fireplace with the words 'Happy Holidays' written in green. Underneath the photo were the words, 'Merry Christmas Y/N!'.

Y/N smiled sadly as they looked at the picture of Hungary and Austria. It pained them to see the two together when Y/N wished they were the ones in the photo sending out Christmas cards with Hungary. It was all they had wanted for a while.

Despite the jealousy they felt towards Austria, they didn't wish him any ill-will, nor were they particularly angry with him. If he made Hungary happy, who was Y/N to object? It was clear that he treated her well and they were in love.

Oh! but what would life be like if Y/N were the one holding Hungary in their arms and caring for her. What would life be like...

Y/N shook the thoughts out of their head and grabbed their phone. This really wasn't the time to be moping around - especially at Christmas! They tapped Hungary's name on their phone screen and sent her a text,

'Thanks for the Christmas card!'

They set their phone down and plopped on to the couch, settling to watch TV for a bit to clear their mind. A silly Christmas movie was on, surely that would lift their spirits?

Y/N watched it for a bit before their eyelids drooped and they yawned periodically. They pulled their throw blanket closer, snuggling into the couch and drifting off. No girl could hurt their feelings unknowingly in their dreams...

When they woke up Y/N checked the time to find that it was around 5 PM, 3 hours later than when they fell asleep. Reluctantly getting off of the couch, they started to make dinner.

Y/N grabbed their phone off the table to look at the recipe for the dinner and saw a notification alerting them of a response from Hungary. They tapped it eagerly, curious to see the text.

However, their expression dropped when they read it. It was written with good intentions, and Hungary obviously didn't mean any harm - but her words stung.

'Glad you liked it! Always have to make sure to send a Christmas card to my best friend!'

~--~*~--~

December 13th. Slightly angsty, I know.