NINE

LETHAL
CHAPTER NINE

( PERISHABLE )

— ☾ —

Alex knew she was missing out on a lot by not hanging out with her friends anymore.

A part of her told herself to just stop holding a grudge and talk to them again, however, the other part of her was telling her the opposite.

"What are you thinking about?" Lucas asked as Alex glanced at him.

"Nothing." Alex answered simply.

"Okay, I may not have known you long enough, but what I do know is that you're a terrible liar." Lucas responded with raised eyebrows. "What's up?"

"There's just a lot going on..." Alex sighed. "With what happened with my friends, with you leaving...it's just way too much way too soon."

Lucas sighed. "I know."

"I bet there's another part of the list that they're cracking right now." Alex blew out a breath, Lucas frowning in confusion. "There has to be more supernaturals in Beacon Hills, I know it."

Lucas nodded. "I agree."

After a moment of silence, Alex spoke up. "I should probably check up on Liam, see how he's going."

Lucas nodded again. "That sounds like a good idea."

••••

Alex walked into the school, noticing Liam sitting on the stairs. Just when she was about to walk up to him, Scott sat next to the boy, Alex stopping in her tracks.

She hid behind the corner as she listened to the conversation. She knew it was wrong, but she wanted to know what was going on with her friends. She just didn't want to ask them.

"Hey, you okay?" Scott asked Liam.

After a moment of silence, Liam spoke. "Last night, my printer went off by itself. I couldn't turn it off."

Alex frowned from her position.

"I pressed the cancel button, but it just kept printing." Liam added.

"Printing what?" Scott asked with a confused frown, Liam reaching into his pocket and handing Scott a folded piece of paper.

Alex squinted so she could see the paper as Scott unfolded it. Alex recognised the font and the layout of the paper. It was the last third of the dead pool.

"What the hell is this?!" Coach exclaimed, Alex widening her eyes as she moved further back behind the wall, Scott and Liam not noticing her as they walked over to Coach's office, frowning at the sight.

Photocopies of the dead pool were printing, Coach not being able to stop them from doing so.

Scott sighed, turning around. He frowned as he noticed Alex, who groaned in annoyance, knowing he caught her.

Alex was about to walk away, however, Scott stopped her, his hand going around Alex's wrist. "Wait."

Alex turned around, snatching her arm away from Scott, Liam standing next to Scott.

"Where've you been?" Scott questioned as Alex crossed her arms.

"Obviously talking to my brother." Alex responded, raising her eyebrows. "You know, my brother that you casually forgot to mention."

Scott sighed. "Alex, we're sorry, okay? We were going to tell you."

"And when would that have been, Scott?" Alex frowned. "I was bound to find out about the last part of the list someday, you know that, right?"

"Yes, of course I do." Scott sighed again. "Alex, please come back. It's not the same without you."

"What, do you guys not have any secrets, is that why it's not the same?" Alex asked sarcastically, her tone then going serious. "Scott, you're supposed to be my best friend."

"I am." Scott frowned.

"Best friends don't keep secrets that huge from each other." Alex responded, Scott glancing at the ground before glancing at the girl again.

"Alex, I don't know how many times I have to tell you, but we're sorry. We all are. Me and Stiles, especially." Scott replied. "Can you at least forgive us?"

Alex glanced at Liam, who nodded gently. Alex stopped for a moment, thinking to herself. Of course Scott was her best friend. He had been since they were kids. The only person she was genuinely mad at was Stiles.

"Okay, fine." Alex sighed, Scott smiling. "You, I forgive."

"And Stiles?" Scott raised his eyebrows.

"Don't push it." Alex responded, Scott sighing, but nodding anyways.

Scott then held his arms out, waiting for Alex to hug him. Alex rolled her eyes, hesitating for a moment before giving in at the sight of Scott's hopeful smile. She engulfed Scott into a tight hug, Scott hugging her back.

A smile grew on Alex's face as she finally had her best friend back.

The two pulled away, Liam clearing his throat. "Uh, guys?"

The other werewolves glanced at Liam in question, the boy holding one of the pages that printed in Coach's office.

The three walked to the side, out of Coach's view and earshot.

"You see the difference?" Liam started, crossing his arms, Alex placing her hands on her hips as she glanced at the two pages Scott was holding out.

"Derek's not on the list anymore." Scott frowned.

"And Liam's not worth three million." Alex added, glancing between the boys. "He's worth eighteen. Eighteen million dollars."

••••

author's note:

heyyyy. sorry this chapter's a short one :( it's a filler one oops...but also I love alex and scott's friendship, so that made up for the short chapter haha.