Chapter Twenty-seven - Revelations

I was relieved to go to school the following morning. The atmosphere in the house had been horrible and oppressive and Mum had spent the majority of the evening in her bedroom. I was getting a ride from Kelley as I hadn't heard back from Drew last night and wasn't sure if he'd be picking me up. I had texted and called once.

          He didn't reply. Or call back.

          I tried to not to dwell on it as I pulled on a pair of dark blue skinny jeans and a green top. I fastened a long necklace around my neck as I hurried down the stairs. Mum had told me that she'd probably sleep in today, so I tried to be quiet, not wanting to accidentally wake her up. I winced a little though as Kelley pressed the horn on her car, the loud sound making its way inside as I finished having breakfast.

           "You can stop now," I told her as I stepped outside and climbed into the car.

           "Oh. Sorry." She removed her elbow from where it was resting on the steering wheel horn. "So, how come you're not getting a ride from lover boy?" she asked curiously, pulling out of our drive.

           "Lover boy-" I rolled my eyes at the word. "-and I are in a little predicament."

           "Uh-oh. What happened?" She turned to look at me as we stopped at a red light, the sun highlighting the honey tone in her blonde hair.

           "It's a long story." And I didn't really want to talk about it.

           "We have time. Besides, you can't say something like that and then clam up. I'm dying of curiosity here." She elbowed me from across the console.

           "Fine," I conceded, knowing I'd be pissed if she'd held stuff back from me. I filled her in on what had happened the previous day as Kelley drove us to college.

           "I am so Team Moira. I don't think that guy should be in prison." Kelley climbed out of the car, picking her backpack up from the backseat.

           "Me either, but I wonder how Drew feels about it all." I hoped Mum and Jack fighting wouldn't affect us. Drew might agree with his dad and I wondered where that'd leave us. We'd never really disagreed about anything before,

          I headed to my lessons, not really taking anything in. Everything the teachers said went in one ear and came out the other. This wasn't the first argument Mum and Jack had had, but Mum hadn't cried before and Jack had never walked away. Well, at least not that I knew. They could have been having arguments that I'd never heard about.

          I didn't see Drew until the twenty minute break we had mid-morning. I'd been heading to one of the courtyards to meat Kelley, but made a detour. I wanted to talk to Drew, and knew where he'd most likely be. He was sitting at a picnic table outside and flipping through a catalogue in front of him. He pushed a dark strand of hair so that it was no longer in his eyes as I approached.

           "Hey." I smiled, cautiously, at him, as I sat across from him. "What's that?" I nodded at the catalogue.

           "University prospectus," he replied, showing me the cover.

           "Oh." There was a small silence as I thought of what to say. We still hadn't really talked much more about the whole university thing. I didn't even want to look at which university it was from, as it would probably just depress me. "So... you didn't reply to my text or call me back." I stated, hoping I didn't sounded really needy, but before yesterday, he'd always called or texted me back almost immediately. I'd been spoiled and had become accustomed to it.