Chapter Nine - Pen Fight

Maddy, Kelley and I were in our psychology class. It was my favourite lesson by a milestone, despite having Ms Miller for a teacher.

           We were sitting in the back row of the classroom. Ms Miller hadn’t been here when we’d all walked in, which was strange. She was usually standing in front of the classroom, rearing to get started with the lesson so that not a minute of our lesson went to waste. She’d left her laptop plugged into the projector and so her screensaver was being projected onto the whiteboard in front of the entire class. It consisted of quite a few pictures of our dear teacher in very questionable poses with an unknown male. Poor woman.

           As the rest of the class strolled in, they sniggered and outright laughed at the pictures being displayed. I couldn’t hold my grin in either when a picture of Ms Miller in a bright red, unflattering bikini showcased itself.

            “Okay, class. We have a student transferring in today,” she suddenly spoke as she walked in. She was frowning at some papers in her hand and glanced up at us all with her back to the board. Drew walked in behind her. He hadn’t mentioned transferring classes…

           I could tell when he noticed the smart board as he bit his lip and his shoulders shook subtly from suppressed laughter. Her pictures contradicted heavily with her usual appearance. She wore a white blouse today, buttoned all the way to the top. It was tucked into a black, long skirt that went just over her knees.

           Ms Miller was showing Drew the papers in her hand and was completely engrossed as she pointed out at various things on the sheets. Drew, on the other hand, looked like he had a hard time controlling himself. He looked up suddenly and caught my eye. I hastily looked away as did he. God, we were such dorks. But I couldn't help it around him.

           He looked up at me again and smiled. Some of the girls in class turned around to see who he was looking at. I guess it shouldn’t have surprised me to see the jealousy in some of their eyes as they raised their eyebrows, looking me up and down. I crossed my arms, leaning back in my seat.

            “Quieten down everyone,” Ms Miller finally said in her usual nasal tone of voice and gestured for Drew to take a seat. He looked around and I subtly tipped my head to the side, indicating the seat to my right. Maddy was next to me and Kelley next to her. They were immersed in a conversation about blonde highlights and I’d been zoning them out.

           Ms Miller turned around as Drew slipped into the seat next to mine. I couldn’t see her facial expression, but it must have been hilarious. She leaned over and quickly unplugged her laptop rather than just get rid of the screensaver, so she must have been pretty mortified.

            “Silence!" she suddenly yelled, spinning around. I had never seen her face so pink; it wasn't just her cheeks but her entire face. “You are not children. I expect silence when I walk into my classroom and I expect you to follow my rules.”

            “Well, we expect you to turn up on time.” I couldn’t help myself from letting that quip slip.

            “Ms Devlin, do you want a week’s worth of detentions?” She looked down her nose at me, adjusting the glasses she wore that covered most of her face.

            “Not particularly.”

            “Then be quiet,” she snapped at me, visibly trying to calm herself down.

            “W-” I was cut off by Kelley giving me a kick under the table. I took the hint and stayed silent.

            “Good,” she composed herself. She was an okay teacher, but she was so strict you just couldn't enjoy her lessons. It was nice to see that she let loose every once in a while, as evidenced by her snapshots.