Chapter Eight - Insight

"Wait here."

          I blinked at him in confusion as he opened his door to get out the car.

         "Uh, I'm hungry too, you know," I said with a raised eyebrow.

         "Hey. What did you think?" He cocked his head to the side, to study me. "That I'd leave you in here whilst I ate?" He shook his head at me like I was ridiculous. "I'm just getting some food. Trust me it's delicious, but you don't want to eat in there."

         "Oh, well hurry up," I said, leaning back and putting my feet up on the dashboard. I was the very picture of laid-back. I hummed to myself as I waited in the car for Drew to return. He didn't take long and he returned with a paper bag overflowing with small boxes of food.

         "Here," he said, handing the bag to me as he put on his seatbelt. I settled it on my lap, feeling the heat from the food seep into my legs. 

         "You planning on feeding a wrestling team?" I teased him, as he started the car.

         "Ha-ha, you're hilarious." He rolled his eyes at me.

         "Why, thank you." 

         "Does the concept of sarcasm mean anything to you?" he asked, exasperatedly.

         "An ironical taunt, or a cutting remark?" I said, grinning at him, pleased with my quick thinking.

         "Seriously Ellie? Just... seriously?" He shook his head at me in amazement. His lips tilted up in the corners as he looked at me. I found that I liked making him smile. Very much.

         "What?" I blinked at him. God, the food smelt great, and even though I'd snacked excessively at the carnival, I was looking forward to digging into the food.

         "Did you swallow the dictionary?"

         "No, I drank it," I retorted. He shook his head at me as he overtook a car that was driving catastrophically slowly. "So where are we going?" I ventured, again.

         "Somewhere," was his informative reply.

         "Ooh, I've heard of that place!" I squealed in faux excitement.

         "I should think so," he replied dryly. I looked around but I didn't recognise any of the roads we were on. He turned left and it suddenly grew darker as there were no streetlights, but loads of tall trees surrounding the road.

         "Drew?" I asked, after a bit, wanting to distract myself.

         "Yes, Ellie?" he asked, turning his head slightly so he could look at me. 

        Oh. I liked it when he said my name like that... Ellie. All softly and... what the hell was I thinking? I blinked back into the present.

         "Eyes on the road," I exclaimed, seeing his on me instead.

         "You were the one who wanted to ask me something," he defended.

         "You don't need your eyes to listen." I pointed out, smirking at him superiorly, not that he could see.

         "Oh dear lord," was the only reply I got as he parked the car on the side of the road.

         "Come on." He opened his door and I got out of mine too. He was standing there waiting for me, and took the bag out of my hand.

        I had no idea where we were. It was really dark out and I felt a little apprehensive. He shifted so that the bag of food was securely in his arm and took my hand in his free one to guide me through the dark.