Chapter Three - Imminent Proposal

"There was no magic, no passion. It was like snogging your brother," I said into the phone later on in the night, as I filled Kelley in on the date.

           "Gross," she said. "So you're not going out with him again? I mean we're seventeen. It's not like your planning on getting married or anything. A little casual dating wouldn't harm anyone."

           "I know that," I sighed, trailing off. "But I want..."

            "Depth? Excitement?" she supplied, as I pulled back my covers, and slipped into bed.

            "Yes, exactly!" I replied, surprised she'd actually understood what I meant.

           "You sound like one of those sappy characters from those romance novels you're always reading," she said, amusedly. Or maybe she was just making fun of me.

           "They're not sappy," I defended indignantly. "There's nothing wrong with wanting a little romance, but unfortunately for me it seems like my mum's getting more action than I am." 

           "Well you've dated more than enough in the past few years. Give your mum a turn," she laughed. "Hell, I need to go on a date myself. It's been forever. Tell me, what do you think of Mr. McKenzie?"

            "Kelley, I'm pretty sure that's very illegal," I sighed exasperatedly. Mr. McKenzie was our English teacher, emphasis on the word teacher. He was young, and hot, and half the girls in school had a crush on him... but he was a teacher. Kelley wouldn't stop talking about him when he first started teaching last year. That had abated significantly, thank god, but she still made inappropriate comments about him every now and then.

            "I know, and that sucks. Epically." I could hear the pout in her words. We talked for a while longer, before hanging up for the night. I turned my lamp off, and tried in vain to sleep. After spending the next half hour staring at my ceiling, I turned the light back on. Reaching for a book on my bedside table, I settled down to read for a bit.

--

           I walked into biology the next day and found Drew already there, sitting in the same seat as yesterday, right next to mine. He wore a grey fitted v-neck t-shirt, with short arms that exposed his very... pronounced biceps. Evidently, he worked out and it looked good on him. He was so good-looking. It was unfair. It didn't mean that I liked him or anything, I barely knew him. I could admit, however, that he was very attractive.

           "Hey," I said, smiling brightly at him, pleased he'd sat next to me again.

            "Oh, hi." He looked up, the tips of his ears turning red as he quickly snapped shut the red notebook he'd been writing in. I raised my eyebrows curiously at him as I sat down, but he looked resolutely towards the front of the class. The red, however, spread from his ears down to his neck as I continued to stare at him, and I couldn't help but think that it was one of the most cutest things I'd ever seen.

           He was saved from my mounting curiosity in regards to the red notebook by Mr. Andrews, who walked in and demanded silence. His plaid T-shirt stretched over his pronounced stomach pouch as he bent down to retrieve some papers out of his briefcase. He was probably one of the few male teachers who didn't wear a suit, and it was easy to understand why. His face seemed to always have a permanent sheen of sweat on it, and I could only imagine how much more hotter he'd feel in a suit and tie closing in around his neck. Jack was a professor at a nearby university, and with nothing to do but teach in a seminar room all day, he'd probably be developing a stomach pouch all of his own. Perhaps I should mention that to Mum.