Chapter Sixteen - Make Up or Break Up? (P1)

I came home feeling utterly defeated.

         I'd walked around for a while with Kelley, trying to find Drew. No luck. I'd even given in to my previous resolve and called him. He didn't answer.

         I had been at my wit's end and my migraine hadn't exactly improved matters. Kelley, bless her, had listened attentively to me while I explained what had happened and had been appropriately indignant on my behalf. She'd actually had me smiling at one point with the eccentric threats and pranks she'd been coming up with. In the back of my mind, I felt awful. If our situations had been reversed and I'd seen some girl kissing him, if I'd seen what would have looked like them arranging a date, I'd feel like complete and utter shit... of course that was assuming that Drew felt the same way about me that I felt about him. Somehow, I didn't doubt it anymore. Not after last night. Not after I'd seen the look on his face after Jason had kissed me.

         My heart hurt just thinking about it.

         I walked in through the front door, shutting it quietly behind me after Kelley dropped me off. I placed my house keys in the big bowl that was on a table-stand nearby and was shrugging out of my jacket when Mum came out of the kitchen.

          "Hello sweetie, I thought I heard you. Did you have a good time?" Mum asked. I paused for a second, taking in her appearance. She wore an apron on over her jeans, and her cream sweater was rolled up to above her elbows. Mom was not what you would call domestic. Not in the least. Her apron had me concerned. I didn't want to eat any of her disgusting concoctions, but I didn't want to hurt her feelings either.

          "It was okay, but I have a migraine. I'm going to bed," I told her, heading for the stairs with my jacket in my arms and a few shopping bags in hand.

          "Are you okay? Do you need some paracetamol?" she asked, looking at me worriedly.

          "No, I'm fine. I'll live," I joked, half-heartedly.

          "Okay, well I'll let you get some rest then. You can try some of my cookies later on!" Mum added the last line excitedly.

          "Sure." I smiled, though it felt strained.

          "Aw, you are such a sweetheart Ellie." Mum pinched my cheek.

          "Ow!" I exclaimed, rubbing my cheek. Damn, that hurt. "What was that for?"

          "For being such a wonderful daughter. I'm not completely blind you know. I know just how much you hate my cooking." Mum hugged me. She was being overly affectionate today.

          "Why didn't you say anything?" I asked, dumbfounded. "And, why did you let me eat all your awful cooking?" I asked, getting annoyed.

          Mom smiled amusedly. "Every time I cooked, I kind of hoped that whatever I'd made had been at least halfway edible. Your reactions to my food soon doused that hope."

          "Oh." I wasn't sure what to think. "Well, in that case. I don't want any cookies." I wrinkled my nose.

          "Fine, I'll get Jack to taste them," Mum smirked, reminding me of a teenage girl.

          "Oh god, I feel sorry for the poor guy," I said, pressing a hand to my forehead, before I headed for the stairs.

          "Did you bump into Drew while you were out?" Mum asked suddenly. I paused on the stairs, my heart hammering, and turned to look at her. "He came round earlier after college, looking for you. I told him you were headed to the high street. I assume he caught up with you?" she continued, oblivious to my inner turmoil.