Chapter 10

A few days had passed and Beca had not come to her senses. Chloe exited an operating room and headed straight for the locker room. She had been lost in work for the past few days trying to forget about her, presumably, ex-girlfriend. Beca wouldn't return her calls or even acknowledge her existence.

Aubrey entered the locker room as Chloe was peeling off her scrubs. The redhead had been upset the last few days and had been working nonstop. "Finally going home?"

"No, I'm going to take a shower and then catch some sleep in an on-call room." Chloe opened her locker and pulled out a fresh pair of scrubs.

"Have you tried going to her apartment?" Aubrey asked.

"I'm not running after her," Chloe said. "If she's going to ignore me, then fine. I can do the same. She knows where to find me." Chloe slammed her locker and headed for the showers.

Aubrey left the locker room and stopped Amy when she saw the blonde walking past her. "You..."

"Amy," the blonde said.

"I don't care what your name is. Just fine my intern and tell her to watch after my patients until I get back."

"Where are you going?" Amy asked.

"I need to go knock some sense into Chloe's stupid girlfriend," Aubrey sighed before walking off.

Jesse entered his apartment and saw Beca on the couch watching TV looking as miserable as ever. "Are you going to come back to work anytime soon? You can't just lay around all day."

"I don't feel like doing anything," Beca replied as she stared at the TV.

"You do realize this is your fault, right?" Jesse took the remote from the coffee table and turned off the TV. "You left her."

"I was just doing the right thing." Beca sat up, running a hand through her unkempt hair. "Why is everyone getting on my case for doing the right thing?"

"Because it so obviously wasn't the right thing. It was the stupid thing. You talk about everyone always running but she wasn't running, Beca. She stayed and you pushed her away. Now look at you."

"Shut up, Jesse." Beca didn't need her best friend's lectures right now. She stood up to leave but he stepped into her path.

"I don't understand it. You had someone who wasn't afraid of your heart condition. Why did you let her go? Because you're trying to be selfless? You don't want her hurting in the end? Well you're hurting her now, Beca."

"God, Jesse. Just mind your business."

"You're no different from your mother," Jesse spat. "You're both runners."

"Fuck you, Jesse! I'm nothing like my mother!" Beca snapped, angrily.

"No? Then why are you sitting here alone when you could be with a woman who cares about you?" Jesse stormed out of the apartment leaving Beca to think about his words.

Beca was furious. How dare he say she was like her mother. She wasn't done. She had a few choice words for her best friend. Slipping her shoes on, she grabbed her keys from the coffee table. As she headed for the door, she stopped instantly when she felt her chest tighten to a painful squeeze. Dropping her keys, she placed a hand to her chest and let out a slur of curse words as she dropped to her knees. She felt the first painful shock from her ICD before she blacked out.