Chapter 4

Beca and Chloe were enjoying themselves immensely. The two were sitting in the living room taking turns playing songs from Beca's laptop. The brunette was pleased to know that Chloe had eclectic taste and liked all of the songs she played.

Chloe turned down the song that was currently playing. She had done a lot of talking about herself and every question she had thrown at Beca had been swatted away effortlessly. Beca was a mystery and she wanted to learn more about her. "You don't talk much about yourself do you?"

Beca shrugged. "There's nothing to tell. I'm really not that interesting."

"I'd like to be the judge of that."

"Okay, well, what do you want to know?"

Chloe smiled, pleased that Beca was giving in. "What do you do for a living?"

"A little bit of this, a little bit of that." Beca smiled when Chloe rolled her eyes. "I own a business with my best friend, Jesse."

"What kind of business?" Chloe asked, curiously.

Beca sighed dramatically. "You can really ruin a surprise, you know that?"

Chloe eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What'd I ruin?"

"I own Pulse. Jesse's the co-owner. I wanted to surprise you when you showed up there on Saturday."

Chloe's eyes widened. "You own that club?"

"Yeah, I also DJ there. Those club mixes I played for you earlier; those are mixes I created."

Chloe was becoming more and more infatuated with Beca by the second. "Those mixes were incredible, Beca. I'm impressed. You just got ten times hotter. You could probably get me into bed if you play your cards right."

Beca smirked mischievously. "Those mixes are all it takes to get you into bed? I should've played them for you days ago."

Chloe laughed. "Seriously, though. You're amazing. I can tell how much you love music."

"It gets me through a lot," Beca revealed.

Chloe nodded in agreement. "Music is my everything, too. When I was second guessing being a doctor, I would just listen to the right songs and they'd get me back on track. It's amazing how powerful music can be. I miss having it in my life like I used to. I was a part of an a capella group in college."

Beca laughed at the new information about the redhead. "An a capella group? That's... I can definitely see that. You should sing something for me."

"Maybe later," Chloe said as her eyes dropped to Beca's lips and then went back up to her eyes.

"Why later?" Beca asked, softly having an idea where Chloe's head was at.

"Because I want to kiss you now." Chloe surged forward, pressing her lips to Beca's.

Beca was surprised at first but she quickly returned the kiss with fervor. Seconds later the two pulled apart to breathe in much needed oxygen.

Chloe's phone went off and she couldn't stop the disapproving curses that slipped from her lips. "Sorry, one second." Chloe pulled her phone from her purse and saw that it was her intern calling. "What?" she answered. "How are her vitals? ...okay....no...how long has she been doing that? ....no, it's fine. I'll be there." Chloe hung up the phone and looked at Beca. "I am really sorry but I have to go."

"It's okay. I get it." Beca stood up with Chloe. "Thanks for today. I had fun."

Chloe grinned. "Me too." She placed a soft kiss on Beca's lips. "I'll see you on Saturday."

"I'll be DJ-ing so just look for me on the platform." Not wanting their time to end just yet, Beca decided to walk Chloe to her car where they ended up kissing again for a few seconds.

Chloe laughed and pushed Beca away. "I really have to go." The redhead got into her car and waved before driving off.

Beca made her way back to her apartment, smiling happily about how her date had gone. She entered her apartment and was just about to sit down on the couch when she heard a voice.

"Hey, Becs."

Beca jumped and looked at her father with wide eyes. "What the hell, Dad!" Beca placed a hand on her chest and Mr. Mitchell quickly went over to her.

"Are you okay?" the man asked, panicked.

"Are you trying to speed up the rate of which I am dying? You can't sneak up on someone with a severe heart condition!" Beca took a deep breath to calm her nerves.

"You didn't see me pull up and I didn't want to interrupt you and your lady friend so I came up here. You should've really lock your door, by the way."

"Noted." Beca rolled her eyes at the man but smiled. The two got along well enough. Ethan Mitchell had always been there for Beca when it counted. After her mother had walked out on them when she was ten, he had gotten a more flexible job so that he would be around more. He wasn't an affectionate man and he was clueless about children but he did his best. "What brings you here?"

"Just checking up on you," Mr. Mitchell said. "Who was that girl? I didn't know you were dating."

"She's... someone new. I'm not sure what we're doing." Beca plopped down on the couch. "I like her a lot."

"Does she know?" Mr. Mitchell moved to join his daughter on the couch.

Beca shook her head. She didn't want Chloe to know. Her knowing would change things and she liked what they had now.

"Are you going to tell her?"

"People treat me like I could break at any second when I tell them," Beca said. "I don't want that... so no, I'm not going to tell her."

"If you're starting a relationship with her-,"

"I'm not," Beca cut him off. "We're just having fun. It's nothing serious."

"Okay, I'm sorry." Mr. Mitchell could tell his daughter was getting upset. "I just don't want anyone getting hurt. So have you been to your doctor lately?"

Beca rolled her eyes. "No, Dad, I haven't. There's no point."

"You should still get checkups."

"For what? So they can tell me that I'm still dying? They'll call when they have a heart for me. Until then, I'm not wasting my time going."

"Well you were in a car accident a few days ago that I didn't know about until I came across Jesse a few hours ago and he told me.

"It was nothing. I had stitches. I'm fine." Beca made a mental note to punch Jesse later.

"Well, you should still get your heart checked out in cas-,"

"Dad," Beca sighed in annoyance. "I'm fine."

"I'm sorry. I just worry about you."

"You don't need to."

Mr. Mitchell stood up and smiled at his daughter. "I don't mean to be overbearing. I just came by to see how you were doing. I have to go grade papers but we should have dinner together soon."

"Sounds good, Dad," Beca said.

The man patted Beca on the shoulder and headed out of the apartment. Beca headed to her room thankful that the man hadn't pushed the subject. She got that enough from Jesse. She laid down in her bed and relaxed to take a nap, not surprised that Chloe was the last thing on her mind before she fell asleep.