Chapter 8

Chloe finally exited the bathroom an hour later and found Beca napping on the couch. She didn't mean to take so long but she was drawing out the inevitable because she wasn't sure how things were about to go down. The redhead moved over to the couch and kneeled down in front of the brunette. "Beca?" She placed a gentle touch on Beca's shoulder.

Beca's eyes opened and she immediately sat up. "Sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"It's fine. Sorry I took so long." Chloe sat down on the couch across from Beca. "I'm ready to talk."

Beca let out a breath and words spilled from her mouth. "I wanted to tell you about my heart condition. I almost did yesterday but I didn't want things between us to stop. It was stupid. I know. I'm sorry I put you in a position where things might've gone wrong. I was trying to keep things between us light so you wouldn't get hurt but that's so hard to do when I like you so much. I guess friends with benefits was a way to kind of get what I wanted without dragging you into a relationship. It would've been unfair."

"You know what's unfair?" Chloe asked. "You deciding for me what my options are. I really like you too, Beca. You having a heart condition doesn't change that."

Beca felt the tears spill from her face as she opened her mouth to speak. "It changes everything. No one ever stays. My mom left after my first heart transplant when I was ten. She couldn't handle having a sick child. Nine years later the first person I fell in love with left me when she found out and so did everyone I dated after that. Nobody wants someone defective in their life."

Chloe's heart broke at the words of the usually confident and sarcastic DJ. "I'm still here. I'm pissed at you, but I'm still here. I want to be with you, Beca. "

Beca shook her head. "You don' t know what you'd be getting yourself into. I don't want you to have to deal with any of it." Beca didn't want to be selfish. She didn't want to pull Chloe into a relationship that would leave the redhead heartbroken.

"It's my decision to make," Chloe stated. "You do still want to be with me, right?"

"I do. I just..." Beca let out a frustrated breath. "You're not understanding. We won't have thirty plus years together, Chloe. I can't even promise you tomorrow."

"I do understand and I'm not going anywhere so stop trying to push me away."

"I'm not trying to push you away. I just really need you to understand how a relationship might end for us. I'm no concrete plan. I don't have much of a future and-,"

"Stop." Chloe moved so that she was kneeling in front of Beca. "Just stop, Beca. You don't have to explain this to me. I'm a doctor. I get what you're telling me. " Chloe placed her hands on Beca's thighs comfortingly. "And I'm still not going anywhere. Beca you're amazing and I'd be an idiot to walk away from what we have. There's chemistry here. Am I wrong?"

Beca shook her head. " You get me so well. I feel comfortable around you."

Chloe smiled. "Yeah, I feel the same. You speak to my soul like you've known it before. Does that make sense?"

"Like we've known each other in a past life or something?"

Chloe nodded. "Yeah. We'll do things at your pace. Just be honest with me and tell me what you want. Do you want to be with me, Beca?"

She should lie and say no in order to spare Chloe future heartbreak but when she opens her mouth to respond, she does the exact opposite. "Yes."

Chloe leans forward and Beca meets her lips for a short kiss. "So you're my girlfriend now... just to be clear?"

Beca let out a light laugh. "Yeah, I'm your girlfriend."