Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Damien Gray

“An alliance? You want an alliance?” I asked Layton.

“Whether you want it or not, the position is going to be yours. When Anthony finds out what you are and what you can do, he won’t question you.”

“Is that supposed to be reassuring?”

Cassidy must have picked up on my tone, because she stood in front of Layton.

“I’m not going to hurt him,” I told her.

Layton cocked an eyebrow, looking slowly between Cassidy and me.

“What is it with your kind and thinking you’re stronger than anything?” Layton asked.

“Our kind? You thought Cassidy was the only Legen out there. You don’t seem to know much of my kind,” I replied.

“An alliance would be good for everyone. You can take the Alpha position. Anyone who questions you about it can come to me. They won’t bother you,” Layton stated, dismissing my comment.

“Yes, when Rogues are attacking I’ll tell them that another Alpha will respond for the pack and me,” I muttered sarcastically.

“I’m talking about the other Alphas. Do you think they’ll be happy having a kid who isn’t even a Werewolf leading one of the packs? All the packs might not along, but that doesn’t mean we’re not brothers.”

His words made me sigh audibly. I lowered my forehead to the table, which felt cool against my skin. A headache was kicking in with the new information Layton was giving me.

“So it’s not just the Rogues I have to worry about? It’s also the other packs?”

Layton replied with a nod.

The more Layton explained, the more I wanted to get away from anything that involved Werewolves.

“An alliance with you, what would that entail?” I asked, not sure if I wanted to hear his answer.

“I have an alliance with the neighboring pack- New Elite. Later on, you’ll learn about the packs. You will need to know that before you become Alpha.”

“Why do you have an alliance with them? And why do you want one with me?”

“The Alpha next door is in love with my mate.” Layton’s voice hardened when he said that. I raised my eyebrows and looked between Cassidy and Layton.

I didn’t expect him to bluntly say something like that.

“He isn’t in love with me. He’s my best friend,” Cassidy said, sounding annoyed.

Layton’s words seemed to really tick her off because she gave him a hard look and walked out of the dining room.

“Should you go after her…?” I asked, unsure of how their relationship worked.

Layton was staring off in the direction where Cassidy had left to.

“No, I’ll probably make it worse,” he said, sighing and slumping himself in a chair.

“So…”

“Legens are complicated.”

I kept quiet because I didn’t think Layton was talking to me.

“Stick around long enough and you’ll see what I mean with the neighboring Alpha and Cassidy,” Layton said.