Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Damien Gray

“You okay?” Sebastian asked me after I closed the door. Emilia had just left and I found myself feeling confused.

“I’m fine,” I distractedly replied.

“You sure as hell don’t look fine,” he said, pressing me for more.

“Why did you change your mind? Yesterday, you seemed set in keeping Emilia away. Now all of a sudden, you don’t mind her being around.”

I couldn’t help the frown that took over my face.

Sebastian shrugged casually and began walking toward the kitchen.

“Food?” He asked.

I shook my head as a reply.

“I’ll still make you something,” he said, looking around the fridge.

“Yesterday, I thought Werewolves weren’t safe. Actually, I’ve always thought that. The other day, you happened to give me a scare when you came home with that girl in your arms. You were in danger, I wasn’t there- you probably get the picture,” he said, as he began preparing some sort of meat.

“And today?”

“Today, I saw her defend you against that dog,” he answered, with a shrug.

“Luke?” I asked.

“That’s the one.”

Sebastian’s frown showed the disapproval he felt against Luke.

“So?”

“So she defended you. She proved that she could and that she’ll protect you if I’m not around,” he casually replied.

“You do know that I can defend myself. Werewolves aren’t really a match for me,” I told him.

He looked at me sternly.

“A few Wolves- yes you can take care of. We haven’t had to fight against too many Wolves. They have an entire pack. I’ve listened around. Before we got here, Luke was interested in Emilia. It explains some of his hatred toward us.”

“I’m sure it didn’t help when you kept taunting him,” I snorted.

“It didn’t. Not that I really care. I’m just pointing out that Luke is dangerous. If you’re around Emilia- whether or not you can take care of yourself- I want to know you’re safe with her,” he replied.

“I don’t want to be with her,” I bluntly stated.

Sebastian looked at me, cocking an eyebrow suspiciously.

“You have a great way of hiding that.”

I stared at him wide-eyed. I didn’t expect him to say that.

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“It means that you don’t have to hide that you like her, maybe even more. She’s your mate- I get it. I know how that works. Well, I don’t really. But I’ve heard a little about it,” he replied, not sounding worried.

The meat cooking was starting to smell good.

“I don’t want to like her,” I muttered.

I really didn’t. I didn’t want to like her, or be attracted to her, or even be around her. But I knew better than that. There was no way I would be able to stay away from her.