26. Unexpected Member

Hinata lazily rocked on his heels outside of Ukai's grocery store, steadily making his way through an ice lolly. He and Kageyama had charged ahead as always after school had let out and practice had been paused to recover after beating Aoba Johsai.

Hinata let his eyes drift up the hill towards the school at hearing the loud bustle of his teammates, still barely specks in the distance, Tsukishima's tall blond bobbing along. It was like an unspoken rule that, even if practice was suspended, the Karasuno Volleyball team always made it to the store after school.

"They're finally here," Kageyama muttered, and then slapped Hinata on the shoulder. "I'm going for a piss. Don't run off."

"Gross, Kageyama," Hinata mumbled back around his lolly, and made an obscene slurping noise just to watch Kageyama's expression twist between mutinous, horrified and something else Hinata couldn't place before the setter was trotting off.

Not even thirty seconds later, a hand was falling to his shoulder and Hinata startled, turning to greet Kageyama who had apparently decided his bladder issues weren't as important.

Instead, he was faced with someone older who he didn't recognise, tall and a little scruffy, and probably either a local or a university student.

Hinata swallowed his mouthful of melted lolly and asked cheerfully, "Are you lost? Can I help?"

The man took in a deep breath through his nose and then leaned in close and said, "T-This is important."

"Yeah?" Hinata asked, a little offput by the stink of this person's breath.

The man inhale deeply again, shakily, and hissed in question, "Is your hair natural?"

"S-Sorry?"

"That's to say - " the man's eyes flickered up and down and Hinata involuntarily shuddered, " - do the curtains match the drapes?"

"Absolutely not!" was suddenly roared from behind them and Hinata whirled around in surprise, his ice lolly hitting the floor, just to see Ukai launch his half drank can of drink straight into the face of the man hanging all over Hinata.

"You get the fuck outta here!" Ukai snapped, one hand fisted at his side, other arm swinging around Hinata's shoulders protectively as he crowded into the space. "I don't know what the fuck you're thinking but this kid is one o' mine, not to mention sixteen. You get your lecherous ass offa my property!"

The man scrambled to his feet, wide eyes darting back to Hinata briefly before he was off like a shot.

"Hinata, Shoyou," Ukai said gently, twisting the young teen to face him. "Are you okay? Did he, y'know, try anything?"

"Whoa, whoa, what happened?" Daichi asked as he came close enough, having broken into a jog at hearing Ukai's shout.

"Some fucking predator," Ukai said viciously, "had a jab at our Hinata here."

Sugawara's scandalised gasp was echoed by several others and he darted in to guide Hinata away with soft words amidst Hinata's confused questions and lament of his lost treat.

"Ukai-sensei," Nishinoya said, suddenly serious as he reached close to put a hand on the coach's shoulders. "There's an initiative we think you'd be interested in joining." And from within the confines of his blazer he pulled out a large badge that read H.P.S.

"The Hinata Protection Squad."

"Nishinoya," Daichi said, scandalised, but could only watch in silence as Ukai accepted the badge solemnly.

(He kept it in his bag at all times - not that he would tell anyone.)