Chapter Ten

Annabelle and George were married in a ceremony that the whole of London talked about months after it happened. The bliss and glamour of the hall and the ball that was thrown by the Duke afterwards left many a mother envious of Annabelle. Ashton had attended and sat in the front to watch the one woman he loved being given away to a man who he knew did not love her and only married her for  a name or the wealth her family possessed. 

When the vows were complete he left the church hall and waited by the staircase for Annabelle. Knowing her all too well he was certain she would leave her newly found husband to collect the congratulations while she found a moment alone to herself.

He watched the doors and as they opened a flood of people emerged, but not one of them was her. 'Why are you lurking Ashton?' she asked from behind him. 

'To have a moment alone and congratulate the new bride.' He smiled then turned to her. Her face was everything but joyful. 'Come now is that what a bride should look like?'

'This is the face you would have seen Ashton had I married you. What do you want?'

He leaned in close so his lips were a breath away from hers, 'enjoy your husband Anna, his life is running thin.' He dropped his eyes to her lips for a moment then moved away when George cleared his throat from behind them. 'I was just leaving the lady, you need not worry,' he spoke still looking down at her lips.

He turned to face George, 'she is all yours,' with that he stalked off hands in his pocket and whistle on his lips. 

...........................................................................................................................................................

Married life was not something George had been prepared for. Watching his own parents be all but aloof with each other, he had once vowed to himself if he were ever foolish enough to tie his life to a woman, he would be different. He would not be like his father. He would love his wife and tell her everyday. Annabelle, however, made that very hard to do. 

She would lock herself away. They had been married a good three months and still she shied away from him. She barely spoke as they dined and when he would send for her to join him in his study she would send his footmen back with a rather rude message. 

He had once appeared at her door himself, still she would not entertain the thought of his company. It was a taxing job and he was ready to give up. It took all of him not seek out Celia, a woman who knew just how to please him. She was always ready and willing and she knew the kind of woman he needed on a bad day and the kind he needed on a good day. But today he needed his wife. 

He was bored and longed for a conversation even if it was a fight. He was tired of consulting his journals and riding out to his friend's estate when he lived with a living breathing human being capable of having a conversation. Deciding she would speak to him whether she wanted to or not, he took the stairs two at a time and not bothering with formalities, he let himself into her room. 

'You cannot live not talking to me Annabelle, we have been married for three months now,' he said leaning on the now closed door. He crossed his hands across his chest and watched her as she sat by the window not moving or even acknowledging his presence.

 Sir Ashton had had the gall to call upon her in her marital home, George made sure he gave the man a message that made it very clear he was no longer welcome in Annabelle's life. Not even news of that had drawn the woman out. 

He stood there watching her ignore his presence, it was then he made a decision. He was ready to love his wife and he would do everything in his power to make her love him in return.