Chapter Seventeen

Annabelle felt suffocated in her husband's home. The gardens were forbidden to her, she could not walk around without a very sneaky footman following behind her this only made her hate George all the more. She had not spoken to him for a whole month choosing to dine alone in her chambers. She stopped reading in his study. When she would see him in the hallway she always ran into the nearest open door.

She cared not for how his feelings were fairing on. She wanted to leave and go back to her father's house where she was free to do as she pleases, walk where she pleases and talk to who she pleases.

But deep down inside she was happy, her heart was jumping with joy, George had ordered Celia out of his home. He had stood up for her and had shown jealousy like she had never seen before. Not even Angelo would fight for her against his brother.  George was the man she had dreamed of marrying. All her marriage lacked was companionship.

Lord Markham walked up and down in his study cursing the day Anna, his Anna was introduced to George. He had dared lay a finger on him. His face was still swollen, he had remained indoors  for fear of having to explain his injuries. His wife knowing better than to ask what was the matter with him.

He had sworn revenge on  Annabelle's family but now George deserved a piece of his revenge. No man had ever dared to raise a fist to him. Most were too afraid knowing full well the consequences.

Sir Ashton announced his presence and the look of horror and shock on his face only fueled Lord Markham's anger. 'What in the world befell you Markham? You look like you were ran over.'

'Your lady's husband did this to me. He is an animal. He will pay for this Aston he will regret the day he raised his fist to my face.'

'Markham,' Sir Ashton said calmly, 'this want of revenge is going to consume you.'

'Her family did not rest until mine was destroyed. I will not rest until they are destroyed. What news have you for me?'

'Not good news my friend. A man fitting Angelo's description was seen in the far countryside. I asked about, a few of the villagers said he arrived about the same time my brother died.' When Sir Ashton had word of this he was overjoyed to know he hadn't killed his brother, but he also knew what this meant for him, Annabelle would never forgive him now because Angelo knew exactly what happened that evening.

He saw the gun, the hand that pulled the trigger, the hand that held him under the water. He prayed it was simply a case of mistaken identity. He prayed.

'That is impossible Ashton. Your brother whom you hate with a passion is dead,' he said reminding him. 'Stop looking so horrified. Do you have any news worthy of my time?'

'No. That is all I came to report to you. I suggest you see a doctor, you don't look well.' Sir Ashton said with a touch of amusement in his voice. He was glad someone had put the fool in his place. He prayed for the day his plan would come crashing down in his face. He turned to leave then remembered, 'there is a ball,' he said, 'all the upstanding men and women of society are invited Markham, why not defy society and show your face?' he said as he walked out. Knowing full well Lord Markham would not leave his home.

George stood outside his wife's door. He wanted to knock but it was late. He assumed she was already asleep. She hadn't spoken to him since that unfortunate day. She avoided him at all costs. He found this rather frustrating. How could he be falling in love with a woman he barely spoke to. His growing desire was becoming unbearable and at times he wanted to take her against her will, but he knew the only thing that will bring him is trouble. She was far too strong, far too distant. His friend had advised him to leave her be she would come to him when she was ready, but it was becoming more of a dream than an expectation.