Chapter Twenty Seven

'Anthony,' Lady Edwards voice rang in the air. Lord Edwards closed his books and took off his glasses. His wife would surely drive him into a very early grave. She had been unbearable these past days. The loneliness of having no one to scold had gotten to her. Him being the only other person, made him the unfortunate recipient of her temper. She had scolded all the maids to dutifulness.

She stormed into the study with pieces of cloth in her hand. The season was coming around again. However, they both had no reason to attend. They had no more children and they both were not interested in engaging with the snobs of society. He had hoped they would take a trip to Spain or France for the season. 'Anthony, they are ruined. Ruined. Annabelle's room is in tatters. Her curtains have been slashed, her sheets are stained with, with...' she broke into sobs. Her husband quickly rose and attended to his wife.

'Hush now dear, tell me calmly what is the matter?'

'Someone was in this house, in our daughter's room and has destroyed it. Her sheets have blood on them. One of the servants say he found a slaughtered pig early this morning on the edge of the fields. He says it is the pig's blood. But why Anthony why would someone want to do something like this?'

'Hush dear, hush. I shall investigate it at once. Ronald!'

The butler appeared almost immediately, 'Yes My Lord.'

'Send for the authorities right this minute. Someone has been in my house. And call the staff I want to have a word with them. Do it now!'

'Yes My Lord,' he bowed and disappeared.

'This must be a joke gone too far.' His wife was distraught. Lord Edwards thought of all the people he had terminated business with, most were from across the seas and long since left. He had never had any problems with his workers. His wife was still crying in his arms. He thought back to the day before they were married when he received a letter. He had kept it sealed, never to be opened. It had been addressed to him and his wife, but she wasn't his wife then. He calmed her down and called for her ladies to make sure she got rest.

He opened the drawer and retrieved the envelope.

Lord and Lady Sarah Edwards.

He opened it and unfolded the paper.

Marry her and she will pay.

Attached on the paper was a small piece of cloth. It was the same cloth his wife had carried around on their excursions. She said it was her mother's the only possession she had of hers.

His wife's past had come calling.

George had made a full recovery. Lord Conrad was still not allowed to move by his wife's order. George not being able to stand seeing Annabelle paid a visit to his dear friend who looked much better than Claire had described. He and Annabelle were , he could not explain what they were. But he knew she had had a hand in trying to kill him but he also knew he loved her. The confusion of it all required much needed advice

'Old friend, it takes more than a knife to kill you.'

'Do not speak to my husband that way,' Claire said angrily. They were seated his chambers. Claire plastered to his side. 'Now tell me why would someone want to kill good honorable men like yourselves?' she asked

Lord Conrad gave his friend a stern look warning him to not reveal anything to his wife. He knew George had investigated and had come to see him because he now knew what had happened.

'I came to call on my dear friend not speak of maladies. The authorities are better suited to answer your questions Claire. My wife has locked me in my own home only letting me out if I agreed to have a carriage sent ahead to fool whoever may try to attack again. I also believe she is on her way to ensure I return safely,' he lied easily.

'And what protection could she possibly offer you?' she asked

'Only she knows,' he smiled at his friend.

Claire knew when she was not wanted. Her husband would tell her sooner or later and she knew his friend would not speak in her presence so she excused herself. Their child had grown a  great deal and required mothering. She mumbled some excuse and the left the men to take of men's business.

As soon as she was out the room Lord Conrad's expression changed. 'While I was in London, I heard a man had hired a total of five men to attack a carriage bound for London. They did not know who was inside all they were ordered was to make sure no one lived. We were lucky this time dear friend?'

'It would seem so Conrad. And I apologize for this is not your battle.'

'Oh come off it you prick. We are friends and they attacked me too. What shall we do? Claire has me bound to this bed.'

'It was Lord Markham,' he said in a hushed tone.

'Lady Edwards friend?'

'Yes,' he and Ashton have been working together. Why I do not know.' he looked uneasy.

Noticing George's reluctance to continue, 'George tell me what is it?'

'My wife, may have had a hand in this matter as well.'

'George,' Lord Conrad exclaimed.

'I know Conrad. Angelo turned up the same day I was returned. He and Annabelle had a conversation and she had refused to relay the details of it. I fear I shall run mad Conrad. That woman is the best thing that has happened to me but it seems as it ghosts of her past will not let me rest. 

'Is there a possibility he was never dead to begin with. Perhaps he was simply watching and waiting for the right moment George. What if he has been plotting his revenge all this time?'

'Then my wife and I are in more danger than I care to imagine.'

'Is she really on her way here?'

'No, Conrad. But an old friend is,' he stopped in the middle of his sentence when Claire entered the room with a tray of broth and a glass of water. George's expression could not be ignored.

'The doctor said his insides were bruised and solid food would only cause him pain.'

'I have been starving for weeks George. I do hope Annabelle is more generous with your meals.'

George smiled to himself. His wife was generous, with meals and a lot more. The thought of her and her smile and her eyes made him long for her once more. They had spent a lot of time in each other company wearing nothing but sheets. He seemed only able to take his anger out her in their marital bed. Being close to her helped him forget she was trying to kill him. He hoped when she saw how he loved her she would cut all ties with Angelo and Ashton and Markham. 

'Go home to the woman you are dreaming of and leave us be,' Claire spoke bluntly.

'Claire, please forgive her George.' Conrad scolded. 

'There is no need for forgiveness. This,' she pointed to George, 'is clearly a man who is receiving all the benefits of a marriage can you not see it in his eyes.'

'Hush dear, we are in front of company.'

Claire gave up her argument and began feeding him his soup. George excused himself from the couple who would last a lifetime if a lifetime would allow.

He mounted his horse picturing his smiling wife with her grand hair around his chest as he rode home.