Chapter Twenty Three

'Why do you always do that dear husband?'  Annabelle asked walking into his study and placing herself on the chair opposite him. She knew her husband to lock himself in his study for hours in a day. After their conversation outside her door she decided to try and put a little more effort into her marriage. The message  Ashton had brought her was also still in the back of her mind.

She made a note to write to all the friends she had to ask about Lord Markham. He had always said he was a very pronounced man and most of England knew him, but surprisingly not many of them did.

Roberta, a long time childhood friend of Annabelle's had relayed his story to her. His father was wrongfully accused of rape and stripped of any titles. Lord Markham bought his title back with money he had stolen. No one was ever able to prove it and he never got arrested. Annabelle was not surprised. There had always been something strange about the man. He had a smile that was not completely joyful and the glint in his eye when he spoke of certain matters unnerved her. He would visit her and wish to spend tremendous amounts of time with her mother which was rather strange for at the time he was not a married man and she was a married woman. Her father had never liked him and it was always a cause of arguments between them. 

She knew he was one to act out of irrationality but killing another human being, was beyond him. She hoped. She looked at George's confused expression. He had put his papers down and was now looking at her. His eyes ran up and down her body full of lust.

'How may I ask do you help yourself?' he nearly fell out of his chair. the forwardness of his wife's question was not something he was expecting. 'I have not seen you visit your lady friend in a long time? Does it hurt?'

George's eyes widened. What in the blazes had gotten into Annabelle? 'Does what hurt?'

'You are a man, you have needs.'

'You are a woman and have needs too.'

He was right. There were times she would wake up in the middle of the night after dreaming of him. His lips, his hands. Her body was always drenched in sweat. 'I am right?' he smiled to himself.  Annabelle was good but he would prove to her he was better.'

'This marriage is clearly not based on love Sir George.' She watched his expression. His face fell a little but he quickly recomposed himself.

'Is it not? I was under the impression we were inseparable.' He leaned back in his chair. Annabelle had come to taunt him. He had seen women try to get the upper hand on him but he was far smarter than the fairer sex of England and he knew how to best his wife. 

'It has been consummated once. Just once. You have tried to kill me...'

'No I haven't,' he interrupted her. 'Your memory does not serve you right.'

'You have tried to kill me,' she continued as if she had not heard his interruption. 'And we barely speak. I know nothing about you apart from the fact that you have a half sister and a mother you detest. I know you have one friend, Lord Conrad and his wife. I do not know your businesses or the expanse of your wealth.'

'Which I know you do not care for.'

'I do not know if there are any other women who shall be visiting.' His face hardened.

'There are no other women Annabelle.' He leaned forward an idea coming to him. It was she that had willfully walked into his study. 'Let us play a game.'

'We are not children George.'

He smiled at the continuous mention of his name without his title. 'No we are not. But as you have stated we know very little about each other. But I did tell you why I detested my mother. It hurts my feelings you paid no attention.'

'Your mistress was also within these walls George. It would have been hard to take pity on then.'

'That is fair.' He rose from his chair behind his desk and moved to the chaise, tapping the space next to him. 'Join me and we shall rectify any unanswered questions.'

She eyed him suspiciously, but it did give her an opportunity to learn his trade and where he planned to go with Lord Conrad. Maybe even persuade him to stay. She placed herself beside him but far away enough that they were not touching. He moved closer so that his hand draped across the chair allowed his fingers to brush her collar bone.

'Let us begin with something easy,' he stared deep int her eyes. 'Do you love me?'

She smiled. It was to her advantage that he did not know her. 'Do you love me?'

'Fair enough. Yes.' His direct answer caught her off guard. She had not expected it to be so easy for him to admit. 'Your turn.'

She took a  deep breath, 'yes. I believe it is my turn to ask a question.' She tapped a finger to her chin and watched his lips. 'When?'

'When what?'

'When did you begin to fall in love with me?'

'i believe it was after you struck my cheek at the ball. I had the intention on conquering you and made the mistake of leaving my heart open.'

'Do you still feel it a mistake?'

'No, you are perfect. My turn, I have one question dear wife that has remained unanswered. When I first met you, you were seated in a study you constantly say is not your father's. Whose study is it?'

The doors to his study opened and Lord Conrad walked in. 'I am sorry to interrupt, 'he said when he saw Annabelle seated.

'Please Lord Conrad, we were simply talking accounts. You are most welcome,' she stood up and kissed him gently on his cheek.'I suppose you will ave to wait a while longer for you answer. Until then, dear husband.' She turned to Lord Conrad, 'would you like some tea?'

'Unfortunately I am not here for very long. Our journey was carried to a few days earlier. It is of the utmost importance that we leave immediately.'

'Is that so? Dear you should have told me you were leaving. I would have called my lover.' She smiled at Lord Conrad before walking out.

As she closed the doors, George noticed a look of worry upon her face.

Annabelle ran to her room. She quickly wrote a letter to Ashton asking him to send men after her husband and keep him safe. She prayed with all her heart it would reach in time. Lord Conrad was a good man and his wife loved him. She would not let him die.