chapter five

Annabelle had been sitting at the far end of the room the whole night. She hated balls, parties, gatherings. She hated anything that needed her to be out in the public. She hated the fact everyone in the country walked past her and stared at her with a look so fowl and the few who bothered to acknowledge her so called beauty did it out of mockery. She hated her mother for insisting on her coming and her father for supporting the idea.

Her eyes wandered around the room, she laughed at every lady who thought they had a chance with the man they were dancing with. It never worked out. Her cousin Auberey had the same fantasy until a certain young man whose name she could never bring herself to pronounce had taken every last bit of her dignity and taken her name for a long long ride in the mud. Annabelle found the whole marriage institution a little tiresome. She would rather sit at her own pleasure for the whole day not having to worry about a man who can't even get himself his own dinner. Feeling a little angered at her thoughts she turned her attention to the room and its beautiful lights falling from the ceiling. The chandeliers were beautiful, they looked like they had a touch of gold but not entirely.

There was ribbon draped from the ceiling in small arcs, blue, white, red and something that looked like pink. A centerpiece in the middle of the dance floor made of lit candles illuminated the room. It was truly beautiful. Her eyes ran over it, from the top single candle to the last row.  Her eyes moved back up to the top candle, and there was a man standing beside it. Her eyes slowly moved over the jacket and finally landed on his face. Annabelle let out a very unladylike sound and rolled her eyes. She stood up as fast as she could and started walking in the other direction.

Before she could get far a hand gripped her arm and turned her around with such a force, she let out a small gasp. Annabelle was now standing face to face with the man she had spent a very long time trying to ignore, Sir George. He was wearing a black coat, a bow-tie and a shirt which she couldn't quite make out what shade of blue it was  She shut her eyes and took a deep breath

'Is this how you woo your women Sir George,'  she managed to say in one breath, 'I must tell you it is a rather pathetic method and if you imagine that I am going to be remotely fascinated by this act of violence, I am afraid are going to be very disappointed.'

'I only do this to stubborn young females who refuse to respect the courtesy of a house call'.

'You should have read the message I was trying to send Sir George, I do not want to see you, I do not want to marry you and I certainly do not', she stopped talking as her eyes fell on his lips. Suddenly she had absolutely nothing to say. His eyes were looking so deep into hers she suddenly felt her breath escape from her. Her thoughts had disappeared and there as not one word she could think of.

'You certainly do no want to do what Annabelle?' He dropped his tone and smiled.  A victory for Sir George he noted. His charm could not be resisted not even by this beast of a woman standing before him. Her dress was remarkable he thought to himself. It held all the right areas and hid the ones that were not ready to be seen.

Annabelle released herself from his grip. She pulled her hand away a little roughly. People had started to focus their attention on the both of them. She smiled her gentlest smile and moved away from his but Sir George put his hand around her waist before she could retreat and began leading her out towards the garden. As they walked past the guests Annabelle could hear the whispers she had fought so hard to shut out.

'Everyone is staring at us Sir George, I do not appreciate the manner in which you are handling our current situation.'

'If you would have received me earlier we would not have to be here', he was leading her towards the bushes.