Shoulder To Cry On

When Tedros went down to the brig, Agatha was sobbing so hard that he began to worry she couldn't breath.

He tried to not feel like a monster as he spoke. "Did you summon them?" His voice was very stern, he did sound like a monster.

She wiped her nose. "No." Her voice was choked by tears.

This time when Tedros spoke, his voice was light and soft. "Then how did they know you were here?"

Agatha turned her body towards him ever so slightly. "The sea sends whispers."

What was he supposed to do with that? Tell the sea to shut up or else?

"What is that supposed to mean?" He said it a tad more aggressive and demanding.

"You wouldn't understand." Agatha said rolling over.

Tedros gripped the cell bars hard and you could see the blood draining, leaving his knuckles white.

He was going to scream at her to make sure they wouldn't be back. He was going to. Instead his fists unclenched, his intense glare faded, and his muscles loosened.

He knelt down on the ground and whispered.

"I'm sorry."

She scowled. "Yeah right." She was obviously being sarcastic.

"I'm only doing this for my father." He said.

Her ears perked up the slightest bit.

"Our kingdom is broke and--"

She whipped her head around. "Camelot? Broke?" She looked at him angrily. "Not broke. Just not rich enough!"

He was about to jump in but she spoke to quickly.

"All Neverland's money goes to Camelot! What did you do with it all? We've already given you enough! Now you take me! When I give up half of my gold when your goons come to collect!"

Tedros froze. He had no idea what she was talking about. His father sent people to take money from mermaids?

"W-What?" He stammered.

Her anger expression faded. "You don't know?"

"Kn-know what?" He demanded.

She itched her arm and skin came off. He noticed her skin and scales were all starting to flake. His eyes drifted to the dried out shirt in the corner of her cell.

She looked up at him. "Could you get me some wa--"

"No!" He cut off.

She flinched at the volume of his voice, which he instantly regretted raising.

He tried to calm himself, but his body was tense. "First, you will answer my question."

Tedros heard bells jingle behind him, but when he turned, there was no one there. He turned back to Agatha. "Did you here hear that!"

Agatha was now sitting upright and tensely straight. "Ah, n-no what are talking about?" She said it like she was lying, but why would she lie about not hearing bells?

He shrugged it off. "What do you know that I don't?"

She swallowed. "Once a month the king sends men to take money from the people of Neverland."

Tedros frowned. "Why?"

"He takes from us because we don't have a formal 'ruler.' Of course their's the chief, but he doesn't control, the mermaids, or the fairies, or the pirates, and most certainly not the lost boys."