I Missed You

Olivia

Twelve hours.

It had been twelve hours since I saw Shayne's lifeless body being wheeled in on a gurney.

When she'd practically snarled at me to leave her, I'd ran like a madwoman, the constant falling only pushing me harder. My chest had squeezed tight when I heard the gun shots, hoping above everything that Shayne was okay.

Deep down, even as I ran, I was sure I wouldn't get help in time. The sky was already pitch black and the area seemed too isolated for civilization.

But when I finally found the road, I'd cried out with relief, weeping helplessly when a sympathetic middle-aged man stopped in his truck.

It had taken six tries before I was able to recite the number Shayne had given me. But when it finally went through, a deep cheerful voice answered. It soon went gravelly when I'd explained—through a teary voice—what had been happening.

It hadn't taken long before I'd caught sight of a dozen headlights approaching us. It was a sight so familiar, it jolted something within me.

That was when it happened.

NOW as I sat patiently in my room, waiting, I wanted to scream with all the emotions that were spilling over. But first, I had to know if Shayne was okay.

I bit my lip to stop a creeping sob. Oh Shayne.

I ran my sweaty palms over my jeans, still waiting. But if I was being honest, no one really cared if I was updated or not. For all I knew, Shayne could be gone.

The first tear came down soundlessly, then the second. The damn broke on the fifth one.

How could she risk her life like that when she knew I needed her in every possible way? Why would she think my life mattered more than hers?

I clutched my hand to my chest, emotional pain wounding me as I cried my eyes out.

The knock at the door had me ruthlessly swallowing my sorrow. I held my head high and pushed back my slightly shower-damp hair.

I wasn't going to look weak in front of anyone.

A tired but thoroughly pleased looking Laura stood outside when I opened the door. She had on the full attire of a surgeon on call. "She wants you," she said.

Her words wrapped around my heart, and I welcomed the wonderful feeling. Hell, I even shocked the both of us when I hugged her to me.

"Thank you, Laura." So much for not showing weakness.

She chuckled and rubbed my back. "All in a day's work, love, all in a day's work. Speaking of which, something seems different about you." She held me at arm's reach, assessing me. "Well, I'll be damned. You remember?"

I nodded, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. "I do, can I see her?" I needed to, just to assure myself that she really was okay.

Laura led me to Shayne's private quarters, making sure no one came anywhere near me. When we reached the spacious quarters, the familiarity of the type of decor hit me in the gut. They were void of any warm colors, but the lushness and masculinity drew to me, all aspects of me.

God I missed her. So much it hurt.

I heard her before I saw her. "I fucking told you, I won't eat shit until I see her!"

We entered the dark-gray-walled bedroom just as Shayne started to get up from the bed.

Poor Freya was on the receiving end of that temper. "She'll be here soon."