Chapter Eight: Unresolved Issues

Getting ready later that evening was probably the most difficult of all bookings. It wasn’t my first rodeo but I was extremely nervous. I had never been booked by someone I actually knew before and what concerned me the most was not knowing if he knew he was booking me in the first place. Kyle and I had an intense history that I had always hoped thats where it would stay, in the past. Before I had the chance to reflect further on the past I heard a knock at the door and knew it was time for Hair and Makeup. I walked to the door in my cream silk robe with nothing but my matching white bra, underwear and garters. I knew this was what Kyle liked based on past experiences so no matter what happened that night, he was definitely going to get his money’s worth. As I looked through the peephole I saw my best friend Giselle. I flung open the door, not concerned with how I would looked and launched at her, squashing her into a huge hug. Her tiny figure crumbled beneath my embrace, she dropped her suitcases and squeezed me so hard it knocked the breath out of me. She had definitely been working out. A few moments later, when we had finished screaming she picked up her suitcases and we walked inside the suite. I poured us both a drink as Giselle went about setting up her things at the table in the living room next to a full length mirror and desk.

“So what are you thinking for tonight?” she asked as she placed her makeup brushes in a row and began unpacking the remainder of the first suitcase contents.

“I really don’t know G. Tonight’s not the usual dress to impress kind of booking.” I said cautiously. Giselle knew everything there was to know about both sides of my life, all the secrets and had been my best friend for years. She never judged my choices and was always a great soundboard when my head became too clouded to make any sane decisions. It was after my first red carpet appearance that she had done my hair and makeup for that I asked her to become my personal hair and makeup artist. I loved what she always came up with. My looks were always discussed as understated and sophisticated in national and international tabloids and I had decided earlier on that I always wanted to be classy vs. slutty. 

“Oh really! Why’s that?” she asked looking up at me, obviously not understanding what I had meant. I sat down in the chair in front of her and stared at my reflection in the mirror. I could feel the tears welling up before his name even left my mouth. The past was definitely something that I didn’t like revisiting but this time, I didn’t have a choice.

“It’s Kyle” I said almost inaudibly. She dropped her brush with a loud clunk on the table and spun around to face me.

“As in Kyle Richardson?” she almost screamed in anger.

“Yes” I knew that she was going to be pissed off when she heard this. She had been there throughout the entire Kyle Richardson debacle and hated him with a passion.

“Antonia! WHY WOULD YOU EVER AGREE TO GO ON A BOOKING WITH HIM! Especially after what he did to you.” She screamed. I knew she wasn’t angry with me but I felt myself cower under her disappointment.

“G, I didn’t know until I landed here. I literally got off the plane, jumped in the car and saw his name on the brief. I have fought with myself over this all afternoon but I can’t pull out now. I don’t even know if he knows it’s me.”

“How can he not know, you only work on referrals.” Her reminder of this fact put things into perspective. How could he not know?

“Look, I really can’t go back to that time. I only have to spend 36 hours with him and as soon as it’s over I will call the agency and tell them to never book me for him again.” I said trying to end the conversation.

“You know I don’t usually have any judgment about your work but seriously A, Are you sure you are going to be able to handle this?” I knew she was concerned about me and I sincerely appreciated it.