Chapter Three: Getting Personal

Flying down the highway with this mysterious stranger at the wheel and "Speed of Sound" by Coldplay echoing around us, I felt as though I was flying on a magic carpet. I can't quite say what it was about Cole that made me feel submissive in his presence but I have a feeling it was the silent power that he oozed. I'm not sure if he was aware of it but every fibre of my bing was screaming at me to fight it. It wasn't like me to relinquish control to anyone ever.

Zooming through the limited traffic before taking the next exit seemed effortless to him but inside it had me clawing at my seat, fearing that at any moment I could be thrown from the car if the wrong move was made.

After another fifteen minutes of silence we made it to the underground parking of my hotel. I didn't even know existed. It wasn't the fact that we had arrived undetected that had me lost for words, it was the fact that we had arrived at my hotel period!

I had never told him where I was staying so how on earth had he known?

"I saw your arrival on Entertainment Tonight this afternoon as I was flicking through the channels" he said out of no where as though he was reading my mind.

I chose not to respond, I didn't know what he was playing at but I wasn't about to fall for it without discovering his motives first.

"Thank you for the ride, it was lovely to meet you Cole" I said as he turned off the ignition and took out the keys. It was unnerving having his eyes bore into mine the way that they were. It was almost like he could see right through me and was attempting to read my every thought. It felt like forever until he finally spoke.

"Antonia, will you join me for a night cap?"

The amount of times that I heard that line in the past was incredible large and I always knew what the hidden meaning was but something in his eyes was genuine, there didn't seem to be anything sinister behind his words and for a fleeting second I let my mask slip.

"Ok" was all I could mutter and I regretted it the moment it fell out of my mouth.

My pals began sweating as we walked through the foyer of the penthouse apartment minutes later. I followed Cole into the sitting room like a lost puppy, in awe of my surroundings that were at least three times the size of my own apartment only a floor below.

"Make yourself at home" he said gesturing towards the couch as he took off his business jacket and folded it neatly over the arm of the sofa.

I took a seat and placed my bag on the ground at my feet as I watched him glide effortlessly across the floor towards the bar.

"Red or White?" he asked with the gentlest of tones.

"White please" I responded breathlessly.

Cole took a seat next to me, draping his arm delicately across the back of the gold guilted sofa before taking a sip of his scotch and handing me my wine.

"Why are you here Antonia?" he said in a clipped business like tone that caught me off guard.

What the hell was that supposed to mean?

"You asked me to!" I responded defensively.

"No, why are you in Dubai?" he responded, chuckling loudly.

"Oh!, I'm on a lay over. I thought that I would be able to escape for a few hours but then it became a business trip. Why are you here?" I responded trying to deflect the attention away from myself.

"You don't like talking about yourself do you?" he said leaning close enough to me that I could smell his freshly applied cologne. It was mesmerising.

"Does anyone in this industry?" I responded matter of factly.

"Depends on how well you want to play the game, and from what i've heard you play it very well!" His poker face was well and truly in place. What game was he referring to?

How much did he really know and how much was he going to admit to?

I was definitely the industry's best and worst kept secret all wrapped up in one nice and neat little designer package. I strategically took a sip of my wine before I even contemplated responding but was extremely careful not to show any signs of weakness and maintained eye contact before responding.

"The only game I can be accused of trying to avoid playing is hide and seek Mr Walker. I try to hide away from the vultures that thrive on digging into my private life and splash it around as though it was entertainment but unfortunately that only encourages them to dig deeper and like everyone there are a few things I'd like to keep very private, so the only way I can ensure those things stay right where I want them is to take control and feed them only what I want!" I responded in such a clam voice that I caught a glimpse of surprise flash across his eyes. i knew he was expecting me to get fired up but i wasn't going to be putty in his hands. If he wanted to play his little mind games then he picked the wrong person, because I can give as good as I get.

"You could just hide away on a deserted island and retire if you hated it that much" he responded in a way that instantly got my back up.

"I've tried that and became bored less than a week into it, Would you pack up and ship off leaving your friends, family and everything you've ever worked for just to get away from someone or something that annoyed you?"

"No, but we're not taking about me are we?" he was infuriating me. He knew he was pushing my buttons and was enjoying every minute of it as my exterior began to crack.

"I have so many more things that I want to achieve and I haven't worked this hard and done some of the things I've had to do for nothing Cole! I will continue to hide away as much as i can and hold on to as much of my privacy as I can. If that makes people think that I'm playing a game then that is their problem because I never asked for fame, It just happened to me, no matter how much I tried to avoid it at all costs" I responded honestly.

"What is it that you are trying so hard to protect Antonia?" his question caught me by surprise. I was expecting a smart arse response. Something to rile me up further but he changed tactics in such a raw way that I instantly found myself compelled to answer. This close proximity and the enticing smell of his cologne was lowering my inhibitions fast, add in the alcohol and I knew I was close to spilling something I knew I would regret!

"Myself" was all that I had the guts to respond. It was a risky move that could paint me as either conceited or vulnerable...and neither were a true reflection of the person I was.

I hadn't realised that he had moved so close to me that we were practically nose to nose. I closed my eyes in anticipation of what I hoped would happen but knew couldn't possibly and sighed deeply knowing the reasons why.

As my head dropped towards my almost empty glass I felt his breath on my neck before he whispered into my ear.

"You're nothing like I expected you to be"

I felt the tips of his fingers lift my chin before trailing their way up to cup the side of my face. I inhaled short and sharp breaths, fearing that the unknown was a path I was about to venture down but excited that for once I was able to be me, no the perfect version that the world wanted me to be. 

"Open your eyes Antonia" he commanded in a whisper before tipping my head back gently.

I opened my eyes and as i realised what was about to happen I felt myself melt into his touch. There was something different about him right in that very moment compared to the person he portrayed in the public eye, he was so in control but there was a softness about him that seemed to calm and unnerve me as each second passed.

"You're refreshing, I've never met anyone like you before. Don't let this industry ruin you" he whispered before his lips covered mine and I was enveloped in his kiss...floating on cloud nine.

I knew that by allowing this to continue I was travelling hard and fast down a very dangerous road but for once in my life a man had found me out for who I really was and not what I could bring to their lives. For once a man had seen a little sliver of the mask fall to the ground and even in all my vulnerability and insecurities he seemed to just get me. I didn't know what this was going to mean but for once I let go and allowed myself to be lead instead of leading...where I was being lead...well I was about to find out.