Chapter Two: Meeting Mr. Walker

Later that night when I finally managed to drag myself out of bed to prepare for the night ahead I wasn’t expecting to find myself mildly excited to step out into the nightlife again. I knew that there would be people I didn't want to run into around the corner but I was there to do a job, show my face before going home and every professional bone in my body was going to make sure I did it with a smile on my face whether I liked it or not!

By 10pm I was in the limousine with Nick driving again and heading for theToga bar. Anyone who was anyone would find their way into Toga and bypass the line that circled the block, past the red ropes and into the VIP section that was packed to the brim with celebrities and influential party animals. As soon as I arrived I could hear the bass from Hot In Here - Nelly pounding out through the glass doors echoing into the street around us. I plucked my compact out from my Lady Dior Handbag and added a thin layer of gloss to my already plumped lips, I fluffed my dark curls before throwing the compact back into my bag just as Nick opened the door and held out his hand for me. Before I had time to react the blinding white light from cameras flashing took away my sight and I knew I had to make a run for it…then I remembered that these vultures were just doing their jobs. I took Nick’s hand, more for support over my newfound blindness than anything else and gracefully emerged from the car. As I made my way towards the small red carpet outside the club I felt the tight fabric of my little black dress begin working its glorious magic of hugging my figure so tightly I knew my assets were looking their best.

“Antonia, This way please” yelled one photographer

“Miss Reid to your left” another yelled, it wasn’t long after that it all became white noise and I turned in the directions I knew they would get the best photos. I raised the hand holding my clutch to flick my hair back behind my left should which was the subtle signal I had worked out with Nick to tell him I had enough.

“That’s all for now gentleman, you’ve got your shot” he called out before stepping to my side, placing his hand out in front of him and helping me walk towards the door.

“Thanks Nick” I whispered before making my way inside away from the prying eyes that would definitely be waiting outside for the shot they so desperately wanted. It was either one of me walking out with another delicious celebrity that would fetch a lovely price as my new “squeeze” or one of me stumbling outside completely inebriated. Neither was likely to happen any time soon!

Stepping inside I felt the beat of the music rush through me with such a rush that I instantly felt myself perk up, maybe the night wasn’t going to be as dismal as I expected. I made my way upstairs to the VIP area past a wall of glamorous patrons as Sexy Back - Justin Timberlake began playing to an overly intoxicated crowd now below me.

“Antonia!!!” I heard a familiar voice scream out over the top of the music ahead of me. I knew that voice anywhere. It was none other than one of my former employees who knew how to keep her mouth well and truly shut!

I made my way over towards the towering blonde in the golden booth and air kissed her in a way that you would to someone you knew how to keep at arms length.

“Selina, so lovely to see you again” I responded as politely as I could. Selina was one of the best girls I ever had working for me but she had one too many illicit problems for me to keep looking over my shoulder for.

“I know babes, it’s been ages. What’s new?” she asked with too much interest.

“Not much, same old. Just a quick stop over really before I head to Los Angeles. How about you?” I asked with feigned interest.

“Working hard, here with a politician from Washington…you know the drill” she said with an all too knowing wink.

“Ah yes” I responded knowing full well what she was saying. What I wondered the most was how much he was funding her next rehab stint in the making.