❌Trial❌

Everyone went dead silent and snapped down onto their knees, heads bowing in respect. It was all one big blur, I couldn't even see them begin to move to a kneeling position. Even the guy with scars and no eyebrows kneeled. Slamming Tanjiro's head down I could hear a sound of pain followed by a muffled groan. A man strolled out into the open with two girls on either side of him. He had shoulder-length straight black hair, rather small in build, slim I would say. But the most notable part of him I noticed was the greyish-violet colored wrinkled skin engulfing the top half of his face. His eyes were affected by the disease as they were milky white and looked off into the distance. 

I gulped nervously. Even though his face wasn't exactly in the condition to be welcoming his sweet gentle smile took so much away from his dead white hues. "Good morning everybody. We have some nice weather today," His voice was so calm and relaxing almost like my father telling me a story when I was too scared to go to sleep. That same comforting warm voice, lulling me into a state of relief. "Is the sky blue?" He asked but more of to himself than to anyone else. No one was going to answer a question that could seem like an insult to the blind man. 

"Our members have gathered for the 'pillar meeting' that we hold once every six months as per usual," The two girls helped him sit on his knees in front of the row of kneeling pillars. "I find this pleasurable." 

"We find it to be most honorable to be in your presence, Oyakata." I had to do a double-take to make sure I knew who was talking. The one with the scars, who would normally have malice lacing through his voice while sadistic intentions danced in his dark hues. He now sounded honorable and respectful. "We eagerly pray for much happiness upon you." 

I've never felt more conflicted in my entire life. 

"Thank you, Sanemi."

False, that man cannot have the word 'Sane' in his name. Impossible. 

"Let me humbly say," Sanemi looked up for the first time since Oyakata arrived. "There are two soldiers present in the pillar meeting by the names of Kamado Tanjiro and Rengoku Kadzuki, who've brought demons." I cringed at their names being tattled on like a little brat telling his father they stole his ball. "I would like to explain the scenario. So will you allow me?"

I don't understand someone who has such a blunt way of thinking, not to mention looks as though he has no intelligence, can speak in such a polite and proper way. The power of Oyakata is amazing, let me just tell you that.  

"Oh? I see... I'm sorry it seems Tanjiro has surprised you all," He closed his eyes. "I have given my approval for Tanjiro and Nezuko. So I would like everyone here to accept them." 

"Pardon my interruption, Oyakata, But w hat about Kadzuki and the demon she has brought with her?" The butterfly women spoke up, I could practically feel everyone gazed drift over to me curled up in my little basket. I sunk lower into the comfort of my small confined space called a rice basket.

"Oh... yes, we do need to speak about this don't we." I could see all the different facial expressions, some determined while others conflicted. "What is the meaning of this, Kadzuki?" I could feel the pressure beating down onto Kadzuki's shoulders, I'm sure her brother being here didn't help. "I've known you ever since Kyojuro become a pillar, I'm surprised you'd do this." He said gently, no anger nor disappointment, just pure curiosity. She went to open her mouth but was cut off by Tanjiro.

"I brought the other demon!" Everyone turned to look at him. "I had Kadzuki watch her for me-" He was cut off when his head was slammed into the gravel ground again by Sanemi. He let out another pained noise and shriveled under his grip slightly.

"Don't lie bastard! We've had reports of Kadzuki bring the demon into the forest with her, with you nowhere in sight." Sanemi scolded, keeping his voice low.

"I flamboyantly oppose either one! Being allied with demons is strictly against demon corps rules." The tall man with the head wrap spoke... loudly.  

"Even though Oyakata wishes us to accept Kamado, I am reluctant to give consent."  The other blind man spoke. 

"Demons aren't to be trusted..." the male with heterogenous eyes mumbled.

"I respect you from deep within, but I can't understand your thinking! I completely oppose this!" Kyojuro spoke with a little too enthusiastically for his sister to be on trial.

"I don't care either way..." The small boy with long hair still wasn't completely in the conversation.

Before Sanemi even had a chance to put his two-cents in Oyakata beat him to it by nodding to one of the little girls, saying something only she could hear. She took out a letter folded neatly, she unfolded the tan paper before she began to read it's contents. "A letter from the former water pillar Urokodaki reads... Please forgive Tanjiro for being with a demon, Nezuko has retained some human reasoning and even when she's starved she refused to eat any humans. That has remained unchanged for two years. You may find this difficult to believe but it's the unmistaken truth. If by chance Nezuko ever attacks anyone, Kamado Tanjiro, as well as Urokadaki Sakonji and Tomioka Giyuu, will cut their stomachs open as an apology."  

"So what if they kill themselves! If they want to die they should go ahead and rot away already, but that still doesn't explain Kadzuki traveling with a demon!" Sanemi yelled, directing attention towards me. "What do you say about all of this Kyojuro? Your sister has allied with a demon!"

The said male chose not to speak and only kept his eyebrows furrowed in deep thought. He has made it clear he does not accept a demon being in the demon corps but if he continued to oppose he could very well have his sister killed. I think he made the right decision not to say anything. 

"Kadzuki... Tanjiro has kept this demon with him because she is his sister. What reason would you have to help... May I ask her name?" Oyakata spoke, keeping his voice soft as always. I had to help Kadzuki. She put herself in this situation to help me, the very least I could do was try to defend her.

"Y/n," I said, pushing the lid of the basket out of the way, allowing a small space for them to see through without letting sunlight shine through. "M-my name is Y/n L/n..." Everyone's attention was directed right at me this time. I could feel their eyes barring into my basket. Oyakata smiled looking in my direction but not at me. 

"Ah yes, what drove you to protect dear y/n?"

Kadzuki bit her lip harshly, I could see the blood start to peek out of her natural vibrant pink lips. Beads of sweat pooling at her temple. "I have no reason. No reason that makes me innocent." Kadzuki spoke for the first time since we've been here. I could hear the strain in her voice. It has been worn out from the night before and it was weak, unlike what it used to be. "I was traveling to Mountain Natagumo when I saw her crawl out of a small din when night was falling. She was in tears, I just couldn't bring myself to kill her. It didn't feel right."

There was a silence that engulfed the group. An awful sickening silence. "Has she eaten anyone?"

"Not while she's been with me, no."

"Y/n. Have you eaten anyone?"

I swallowed the mucus building in the back of my throat. My tongue going dry remembering the horrendous scene in front of me that morning. "...y-yes, I have." I could hear Kadzuki breathing get caught in her throat. I could also hear the sickening snarl come from Sanemi. "But-!" I started again. "It was my family... they were already dead by the time I woke up that morning. The same morning I woke up a demon..."  I almost wanted to facepalm myself. As if me saying that even helped. I sounded like a child digging their own grave. 

"I'm sorry to hear that y/n... not many demons remember their past. But do you know how long you've been a demon?"

"... For two days..."        

__________________________

[Edited] :)

Sorry if this is a little late then normal, I had surgey done wesnday and couldn'r build up enough energy to type this chapter. But I'm somewhat back! 

And remember please don't be afraid to tell me any concerns you have. I've already fixed some problems in the story thanks to some feedback.