Guess You'll Never Know!

The next morning I headed straight up to the owlry, ink and parchment in tow, to write my letter to Nehemiah in private. I got up early to avoid wandering eyes and to get some peace and quiet.

Dear Nehemiah,

Well, you were right. Your brother is quite the character! I met him yesterday twice...once under unusual circumstances. The good news: He's got your looks! The bad news: He's kind of....strange. And not your strange either. A different kind of strange.

Is there anything I should know about him? I feel like I'm missing something. Something I can't quite place...

I know he's at Hogwarts to help Draco but I don't think it was a good idea. Draco is getting agitated that he's around. He doesn't want any help... I would try and convince him otherwise, for his sake, but I don't think he's going to sway. He seems pretty set in his decision and you know how stubborn he is.

Write back soon. I'm sure life is a drag without me. Miss you!

Love,

Allie

"Are you writing Nehemiah as well?" a voice said abruptly from behind, very close to my ear. I jumped and turned around quickly, my hand on my heart.

"Gosh, you scared me! And my ink spilled... Great!" I exclaimed, bending over to pick up the spilled ink bottle off the floor.

"Well, I didn't do that on purpose but if I knew you were going to give me such a great view of your bum, I would have," Elijah said cheekily and I hit him on the shoulder in response.

"What makes you think it's okay to talk to someone like that? And why are you even here?"

"Because...I'm Elijah Sweeney. And I'm sending a letter... What else?" he said, matter-of-factly. He tied a letter that he had to the foot of one of the school owls and set it off.

"What could you possibly have to tell Nehemiah so soon?" I asked with honest curiousity, but a little hostility seeped through my voice.

"An update. You know, on your boyfriend's stupidness.... From what I hear, Nehemiah thinks just as much of your boyfriend as I do. Why is that?" he said, a knowing grin on his face.

"I wouldn't know... He never acted like he didn't like Draco. What are you trying to say?" I asked, attaching my own letter to my bird in the process.

"You know exactly what I'm trying to say. I know that you know Nehemiah's in love with you. I just wanted to hear you say it. I bet you try and ignore it but, everyone can tell when wittle Nehemiah is lovestruck. The boy wears his feelings like a sweater. The question is, what's so special about you?" he said, eyeing me up and down, making me feel dirty.

"Guess you'll never know," I said, turning my back on him and walking through the door.

"That's what you think!" he yelled back as I continued walking away.

I didn't know what he meant by that and I didn't really wish to know but I let the thought drift to the back of my mind and instead thought about something else Elijah had said. Was Nehemiah really in love with me? I knew he liked me, I could tell, but love?

Elijah was probably lying just to get under my skin but I couldn't brush the thought off. Is that why Draco hated him so much? Is that why my grandfather wanted me with him so bad? Did everyone else realize it but me?

My train of thought was interrupted by the realization that someone had began to walk beside me. "Hey," Dean Thomas said from my left side.

I was confused by his sudden appearance but I replied, "Hey," back without hesitation.